Throwing cue

I was watching Sunday night Baseball this week, and Curt Schilling was breaking down David Price’s delivery. A point he made was he’s “windup, windup, go”. Price is very collected in his pre-pitch and even into his leg lift, and when he drops there’s no waste movement. His body works as a rubber band, he extends down the mound, and then bang, he lands and the ball is coming.

The cue, Schilling was saying he makes with his young pitchers is to not get the arm involved too early. Don’t start throwing too early. Let your body get down the mound. With a lot of pitchers, their leg will swing out, or they’ll break their hands too early and all of this unneeded swinging and movement is happening. I think of Price as a compact movement, and his arm doesn’t get involved too early or have to do too much. In relation to my lower half cue post, force into the ground will help rotation, and in turn the arm speed will be there. It all connects.

Here’s Price, notice how nothing works too hard, and how the arm gets involved when it needs to:

Hips.
A lot of young pitchers have been taught to be controlled (translation, move slowly) through their whole delivery in the name of throwing strikes. This does a couple of things in my opinion. First, it makes them front hip dominant, they swing their front leg open. This really limits any chance of creating hip/shoulder separation. It also causes a lot of guys to throw across their bodies or create inconsistent landing positions with their front foot.
The second thing I notice with price is how long his entire back foot stays in contact with the rubber. A common teach is to have kids focus on pushing off the rubber. I have seen a lot of kids…including my own, actually push more up than out when trying to do this. If you see a kid goes to his toes or his heel leave the ground early he is probably pushing up without knowing it.
Price is moving a big frame down the mound toward the target in a controlled but powerful way. The hips rotate (from what I can tell) from back to front, the back foot remains in contact with the ground. He has good separation because of these things. When you see a kid lifting his heel and or swing the front leg open and they will have a one piece delivery usually.
Just my humble thoughts.

Agreed. When talking about moving the center of mass I think tempo is the most important aspect of the delivery. If your body is moving slowly, your arm will too, and basically it gives your body more time to mess up. Quick, compact and sequenced up movements is something to stride for as a pitcher.

The back heel is a great catch by you. Perfect example, that he’s in no rush to throw the ball home, yet is moving explosively to the plate.