Throwing Bullpens

I was just wondering if anyone found a legit amount of success with a bullpen that they throw in the off season. To clarify, what did you throw, how many of each did you throw, did you change distances and throw flat grounds, did you throw 100 % everytime you stepped on the rubber.

The off-season program depends on the age of the pitcher and the expected role (starting or relief).

Generally you want to take off from throwing completely for 4-8 weeks to give your arm a rest, then gradually get back into a throwing program.

During the “off” time you should continue all other conditioning (running, cardio, weights, etc.), and you can do “dry” pitching in front of a mirror to keep mechanics in order.

I’ve always liked a mixed program in the off-season, including pitching from both flat ground and off a mound. There are plenty of people who believe you should always throw off a mound, but I’m on the other side and think that flat ground offers the opportunity of more reps without as much strain on the entire body.

I also like to incorporate pitching from 45 feet to work on fastball and changeup movement, and long-toss to build arm strength.

And, there are a ton of drills that can isolate specific aspects of your mechanics … too many to list here.

To sum up — an offseason program would be a mix of pitching from the mound, on flat ground, from 60 and 45 feet, long toss, and a series of drills. Figure out what your highest pitch count in the season will be, and work on building up to that gradually during the offseason. You count all repetitions as pitches, be they from drills, flat ground, long toss, etc.

Again, the numbers are entirely dependent on the pitcher’s age, level, and role.

The goal is to keep and/or improve mechanics, and build up / maintain strength and endurance.

Throwing nearly every day is important — I like four days on and then one day of rest — especially if you need to improve mechanics. It’ll be more worthwhile to throw 20 pitches every day than throw 100 pitches and then take five days off. If you want to improve at anything in life — be it pitching, hitting, typing, dancing, computer programming, or whatever — you need to do it every day (OK, almost every day; you should always work in a day of rest).

thanks for the long waited reply lol…Im 18 if this helps and finished up my fall season in college in early october

OK. What is your role likely to be in the spring? Starter or reliever?

Just curious — what school ?

Currently a starter, I played at northampton community college, however, I plan on transfering to west chester u. for the spring semester. They are a division 2 state school…I am not gauranteed a spot or anything…Im simply trying to walk on

That’s ironic … I gave private lessons this summer to a lefty pitcher who is trying to walk on … he said the competition was pretty fierce to walk on at West Chester. They’ve had a very strong program for several years, and they’ve sent some pitchers to the pros recently.

Have you spoken yet to their coach? From what I understand they have an “interim” coach right now, so things might be a little fuzzy. If you weren’t recruited, try to find out the process of trying out if you haven’t already … I think they do it over a three-day period. Also try to feel out from him what roles might be available for a walk-on, and your chances. For example, they may already have conference starters locked up but maybe there’s an opportunity to be a non-league starter.

Knowing what you’ll have to do to tryout, and whether you’re shooting for a starting or relieving role, will give you a better idea of what your throwing program should be like. For example if you’re a starter then your program should build around the idea that you’ll be pitching only once per week.

First of all, you give pitching lessons, I was actually looking for some quality pitching lessons to sharpen up my mechanics. Are you around the west chester area. Secondly, I came from a highschool that didnt win too ofton and the coach didn’t really have much respect from any of the college coaches and had little to no connections. Im not going to make excuses, however, Im sure its easier to be recruited when you play for a winning team with a coach that actually helps with the recruiting process. Thirdly, yes I understand that west chester has a great baseball team and I am going into this thinking Ill give it everything and if I dont make the team then theres always club ball. Finally, yes Ive spoken to the coach via email, were currently exchanging information. Im assuming hes trying to figure out where I stand with eligability because he asked a question about the clearing house form. He is a new coach however I think this would give me a stronger chance of making the team because he doesn’t know last years starters as well as the old coach did and he might be looking for some recruits to work with. Thanks for everything so far.

Unfortunately, no, I’m in NJ … sorry.

I know that story all too well … there are far too many HS coaches who either don’t know or don’t bother to help their kids.

Good for you … Stay positive and continue communicating with the coach. Go beyond email — try to speak with him on the phone or meet with him if possible, to further prove your sincerity and passion. Every little bit counts.

If I’m not mistaken, the new coach was previously an assistant and their recruiting rep, so he should have a good idea of who he has returning and what role you might fit. Talking with him about this will also show him that you are proactive — always a good thing. To score more points, approach him with more the angle of “I’d like to help your team win in any way I can” rather than “what can you do for me?”.

Remember, everyone puts on their pants one leg at a time, the same as you … what will separate you from others is your commitment and passion. Good luck, and keep us informed!

Thanks for everything joe