Throwing and Strength training

Just another interesting read from a smart guy
http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter86.html

Discuss

And throwing-specific strength training is better than general strength training, I would suppose. And I would also suppose there there might be such a thing as inappropriate strength training relative to throwing. So, while I get their point, I think it’s rather vague.

Yes I agree but their point is just that you shouldn’t do away with strength training.

Who wants to do away with strength training?

Dick Mills

that is not true at all . Dick Mills does think a player needs to weight lift till he is as he calls it “fit to pitch” then after that he think plyometrics and med ball exercises.

But he is againest most of workouts that go past 4-5 week period.

Cressey is the man, and he continues to prove it.

[quote=“RIstar”]that is not true at all . Dick Mills does think a player needs to weight lift till he is as he calls it “fit to pitch” then after that he think plyometrics and med ball exercises.

But he is againest most of workouts that go past 4-5 week period.[/quote]

No offense to people that are coached by Dick Mills, but that might be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard…What you build by weightlifting, you cannot maintain with plyos and med balls. What’s the plyo version of a front squat or an RDL? That just doesn’t make sense how you weightlift till your “fit to pitch,” and then you never do it again…I’m sure he’s got some reasoning, and I would sure love to hear it.

[quote=“NPA Pitcher”]
No offense to people that are coached by Dick Mills, but that might be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard…What you build by weightlifting, you cannot maintain with plyos and med balls. What’s the plyo version of a front squat or an RDL? That just doesn’t make sense how you weightlift till your “fit to pitch,” and then you never do it again…I’m sure he’s got some reasoning, and I would sure love to hear it.[/quote]

Traditionally Mills would attempt to tell you why you are wrong, not why he is right, lol.

I agree whole heartedly with you NPA.

[quote=“centerfield2150”][quote=“NPA Pitcher”]
No offense to people that are coached by Dick Mills, but that might be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard…What you build by weightlifting, you cannot maintain with plyos and med balls. What’s the plyo version of a front squat or an RDL? That just doesn’t make sense how you weightlift till your “fit to pitch,” and then you never do it again…I’m sure he’s got some reasoning, and I would sure love to hear it.[/quote]

Traditionally Mills would attempt to tell you why you are wrong, not why he is right, lol.

I agree whole heartedly with you NPA.[/quote]

He’s one of those guys, huh. :lol: That’s dangerous…

Dick Mills[/quote]

lol.

but yeah I’ve done strength training with my pitching/throwing routine for quite a while now. no problems.