Throwing alone

Is throwing into to a net as hard as you can the same thing throwing long toss?If it is not what are some ways I can imitate long toss by throwing by myself?

maybe only the angle would differ i’d say put the net higher so that you get the same throwing angle then when you long toss and i seriously doubt there would be any difference.

Id have to say no. Long toss works on being a able to throw a long distance flat. I would say yes to a bullpen, but no not long toss.

But would I still gain the same amount of velocity?

HOW you CAN NOT GAIN VELOCITY FROM LONG TOSS.

The best way to gain velocity is to throw off a mound and do it quick with your body and throw it in there hard.

Work on using the body and momentum and mound mechanics. Long toss sometimes relies to much on the arm and its not the same mechanics as pitching if theres a crow hop.

I know you’ll have some sort of response and its useless to try to disagree with your views, but longtoss can help to build up arm strength and can elp velocity. To throw a ball farther and farther along the same plane, it has to travel at a higher velocity. You shouldn’t complete discount longtoss, you should do a balance of different types of training.

p.s. Please don’t return to your “why long toss & weight training is a waste” dick mills rant

p.p.s. Please

Oh yeah, sorry for double-posting, but i never answered your question. Its not the same thing, but it is comparable.

shane is 5000% right you can gain lots of arm strength from long toss…ive done it myself and its a big part of wh yi throw hard and im not big at all im the smallest kid on my team but i throw the harder than kids that are 6’1 but they have weak arms cause they dont long toss you need to lay off the dick mills website just beacuse someone says something doesnt make it true

Throwing into a net with a crow hop, from even 30 feet away IS the same thing as long toss. My college program does this in the winter to keep arm strength up.

I agree with above. Not everyone is blessed with constant summer.

[quote=“RIstar”]HOW you CAN NOT GAIN VELOCITY FROM LONG TOSS.

The best way to gain velocity is to throw off a mound and do it quick with your body and throw it in there hard.

Work on using the body and momentum and mound mechanics. Long toss sometimes relies to much on the arm and its not the same mechanics as pitching if theres a crow hop.[/quote]

My opinion throwing off a mound will help you more than long toss. Now a combination of long toss and throwing of a mound will help also. But also the lack of being able to throw bullpen would make that a better option of your practice time than long toss alone. If you have a lot of practice time then I would mix it up. If you have limited time to throw to a catcher or anyone I’d do it mound speed and game situation.

I don’t see how you can say that you CAN NOT gain velocity with long toss. If this was true than pros wouldn’t do it. RIstar I think you should think about what you say and not be extreme about everything. You can say that you believe that mound is greater than long toss, but how will the people asking the questions want to believe you when everyone yells at you for saying stupid things. Half of what your saying is right and I agree with you on throwing bullpen more but you don’t choice your words very well.