Throwing a sinker

I have just learnt how to throw a sinker and i tried it out this afternoon in a bullpen session but it seems it doesnt really sink. This may be because of 2 things; 1 might be because i do not really throw over the top but more three quarters. 2 because maybe my fingers werent close enough any suggestions?

throwing overhand wont really get u any sink at all

sidewinders get the most sink

and just mes around with it, ull find what works

sidewinders? what is that?

people who throw sidearm.

really well if thats the case i should get sink on my 2-seamer instead of run right? it just seems everytime i throw the 2-seamer which ive been told is supposed to sink, it just moves away from lefites and in on righties.

i have natural tail on my 4-seamer which usually get me a lot of calls from other guys saying hey that was a 2seam right? no it’s not you can get movement on a 4-seam fastball and usually i get more movement on a 4-seam then a 2-seam thats just like throwing a curveball 4-seam and 2seam, the more seams cut throught the air the more air it brings up with it which produce more movement. the 2-seam fastball is plain doing nothing for me.

i just need to know how most people throw a sinker. I am looking to start developing a sinker to add to my arsenal.

bring sandpapper to the mound and scratch off the right side of the ball a bite (if you’re a righty) on your 2-seamer, make sure the scratched up part will face the ground when you throw it and you have a great sinker. just do the same thing without all that illegal stuff and you have a sinker.

[quote=“OffSet”]throwing overhand wont really get u any sink at all

sidewinders get the most sink

and just mes around with it, ull find what works[/quote]

This is not true. You can throw a sinker from overhand.

Sidewinders get more movement, period. No matter what pitch. They don’t need to use a special grip. A regular fastball grip combined with the arm slot already will create movement. This is because all their pitches are spinning on a different axes than overhand and 3/4 pitchers.

This is the most common grip used.