Throwing a football to increase velocity?

Hey I have a question. My friend’s pitching velocity has increased greatly in the last three month. He claims the increase to be 6mph and attributes it to being drilled to throw around the football 100-200 times with his older brother. Do you think its true or possible to do this?

Yes, it could happen. BUT … it’s not it’s not the football that did it. It’s the simple fact that he trew so much – 100 to 200 throws/day. If he threw a baseball that much and with that kind of dedication, he would have gotten the same result. So why not just go out there and throw the baseball?

Hey,Steve,I have heard a rumor that some footballs are being tossed by some MLB pitchers.If so,is it because a football throw is “slower” and easier on the arm / rotator cuff?Just curious.

I agree.

I think the same thing is true of weighted baseballs. The effect isn’t due to the weighted ball. Instead, it’s due to all the throwing.

There have always been a number of big leaguers who’ve used footballs as part of their training. There are perhaps even more pitchers in college that do it (maybe one guy on every team or two). I don’t think tossing around a football is “awful” in and of itself. But the throwing motion is different from throwing a baseball – and that’s where I have a problem with it. With a baseball, it’s important to throw with your fingers on top and behind the ball. But a football is thrown with your hand on the side, sort of like a “karate chop.” So throwing a football isn’t baseball specific. And, again, I get back to my post above … If it’s not baseball specific, I don’t see the point to it, especially since kids simply don’t have time to waste on doing nonpitching stuff along with school work and everything else they’ve got going on in their busy lives.

I have no idea whether it increase velocity or not, but I have heard that it is suggested as an off season training aid to strengthen the arm. (a close friend knows a sports physician who recommends). They are seeing more and more arm injuries for younger kids due to them pitching all year round. Kids are playing travel ball in the summer, fall/winter ball, then back to little/pony league. This is just too much stress on young arms not fully developed yet.

He recommends taking the winter off and just throwing a football because the arm action is very different, thus not putting the same strain as pitching. That is what I did with my son this year and his arm is noticably stronger, but I wouldn’t attribute increased velocity solely on that.

[quote=“dmatt”]I have no idea whether it increase velocity or not, but I have heard that it is suggested as an off season training aid to strengthen the arm. (a close friend knows a sports physician who recommends).

That is what I did with my son this year and his arm is noticably stronger, but I wouldn’t attribute increased velocity solely on that.[/quote]This may really be a question for another thread but specifically which arm muscles being stronger will help with either injury reduction or velocity generation in pitching and how would it work?

dm59,
I believe the injury reduction part of it comes from not being able to throw the ball as fast, therefore reducing the decelleration loads on the arm. I have heard of people using volleyballs, etc. early on in rehab throwing simply because you can’t get them moving as fast yet you do strengthen the arm somewhat.

I’m beginning to believe that because of what I’ve seen now that my son has picked up a lot of velocity very quickly relative to where he was before his injuries. The velocity has increased simply because he’s grown and matured a lot since then. The problem is that his shoulder isn’t equipped to handle these speeds and we’re having to be very careful not to overdo it. It might have helped to start out with some heavier and larger ball rehab.

So if you are young and work hard and just go out and throw 100-200 times you could develop a fastball in the 90s?

so your saying if i throw a baseball 100 to 200 times a day i will have the same outcome as if i were throwing a football that much a day?

No.

then i must be confused which is better for me? my tryouts are april 30 and i want to be at my best game by then