Throwers Ten

Ive started doing the throwers ten program that involves rotator cuff exercises.

type in throwers ten on google and its the first one.

and i was wondering at what intesity should i be aproaching it at (i know you wont get any stronger by just barely doing it and going through the motions but i know that i dont wanna approach it at the intensity of weightlifting…or should i?)

and also should i be doing it everyday or every other day?

*some of the exercises contains light weights and not just the stretch cord.

also if you know of any programs or exercises that could help my pitching i would appreciate it.

Strengthening the rotator cuff is important, but indirectly.

It doesn’t let you throw hard. Rather, it lets your shoulder tolerate throwing hard.

The actual force is produced in the muscles of the core (and the stride).

“It doesn’t let you throw hard. Rather, it lets your shoulder tolerate throwing hard”

Which is why it is important to have a complete shoulder health program, you also need to condition the de-cells on the backside. Both weights and bands. One of the things I admire most about House is his dedication to getting an arm heath strategy and program in place…and letting as many folks be aware of the latest in conditioning health… Stevens Tuff Cuff is also excellent for comprehensive arm conditioning and care. (Looking after your arm, imo is a top on the priority list of pitching at higher levels…don’t take care and the elevated usage will break you down pretty quick)

so your saying that a strong adominal core it really important its the aspect of pitching?

and also during the stride should you bend your back leg during the foward motion to the plate or stay tall?

and at what point should you shift your weight from staying back to falling toward the plate

Yes.

Stay tall.

This maximizes your potential energy and raises your release point.

Just before the top of your leg lift.

"drew_14 wrote:
and at what point should you shift your weight from staying back to falling toward the plate "

Chris O’Leary annswered:

“Just before the top of your leg lift.”

-------I strongly disagree with this opinion. You should not attempt to “stay back” at all once your pitching motion commences. Your weight can, and should, begin to shift forward as soon as your leg lift commences.

Or, you could do this…

http://www.teachersbilliards.com/thepainguy.gif

(But, I don’t personally recommend those pitching mechanics, either.)

[quote=“laflippin”]"
Or, you could do this…

(But, I don’t personally recommend those pitching mechanics, either.)[/quote]

I now have friends in two ML teams, so why don’t you just STFU.

Chris,

If “STFU” means what I think it does, then that’s a pretty childish remark.

Why don’t you openly discuss the pitching mechanics that you advocate instead?

Do you think your good friends on two MLB teams clearly understand what you advocate? If they do, that would be interesting news because Marshall’s ideas are very generally viewed as lunatic fringe by experienced baseball people.

Deleted unintentional duplicate post.

They both do.

In fact, that’s how my new friend met me. He wanted my take on Marshall’s ideas since I seemed to have checked out Marshall’s ideas. We came to pretty much the same conclusion; that some of Marshall’s ideas make sense but not all of them do.

Also, these are two very senior people. One is a cross checker and the other is a pitching coordinator.

I’m sorry to say, but their opinions carry a little more weight than yours.

[quote=“laflippin”]Or, you could do this…

(But, I don’t personally recommend those pitching mechanics, either.)[/quote]la
What was the purpose of adding this? What relevance is there in doing something like this? It seems like a simple attempt to demean someone, which is not in the spirit of this board. Please stick to content issues.

re: “What was the purpose of adding this? What relevance is there in doing something like this?”

---------Those are fair questions. I believe that the fundamental basis of Chris O’Leary’s pitching mechanics advice is always important to understand within the context of threads where he offers it.

In various forums over the years, including his own website, Mr. O’Leary fervently advocates Mike Marshall’s mechanics. On the other hand, he has started to occasionally post that “He has recently distanced himself from Marshall”. However, many of Mr. O’Leary’s current ideas, in his own writing, clearly still do reflect Marshall’s garbled teachings about pronation, “pushing off”, etc.

To me this is highly chameleon-like behavior, at best. People that take advice like Chris’s seriously… should certainly have the opportunity to look at the basis behind it.

If it is demeaning to post a link to Chris’s video clip, demonstrating a pitching motion that he advocates, or has advocated recently, on a pitching forum where people should be able to make up their own minds about it–well,…that’s not really a problem that I created for him.

You’re taking a clip (of me trying to demonstrate the Marshall arm action) completely out of context, with the sole purpose of trying to ridicule me.

IMO, that’s a pretty pathetic way of trying to win an argument.

Why is a video clip of pitching mechanics that you have apparently admired and advocated for years out of context for a forum where you regularly hand out pitching mechanics advice, Chris?

As you know, your personal website still strongly advocates the mechanics you are trying to demonstrate in your video, at least as of December 15, 2007–a little over a month ago.

Have you fundamentally changed your thinking since 12-15-07?

If you feel ridiculed by seeing your own pitching mechanics on video, as you appear to advocate them, why don’t you post video of what you now believe to be a more realistic account of your pitching mechanics?

By the way, is it true that you are officially a Moderator of LTP’s Pitching Mechanics forum? That’s what it says on your website. If true, you should be more candid about that, too.

Here’s a suggestion. Start a “Why I think Chris O’Leary is a moron.” thread and stop polluting every thread with your garbage.

Oh, and while you have impressions of what people at the ML level think about Marshall’s ideas, I have direct, personal knowledge.

That’s a big difference, IMO.

[quote=“laflippin”]Why is a video clip of pitching mechanics that you have apparently admired and advocated for years out of context for a forum where you regularly hand out pitching mechanics advice…[/quote]Because it has nothing to do with this tread, entitled “Throwers Ten” and a poll called “Do you think rotator cuff strength plays a important role in velocity?”

If Chris were to post that video and claim that it shows superior or desirable mechanics, I think Chris knows that I’d be all over it but that’s not what’s happening here. This is supposed to be about the role of the rotator cuff in generating velocity. I know threads get hijacked all the time but this had no other purpose than to demean. Let’s get back on topic gents.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]… so why don’t you just STFU.[/quote]Oh, and Chris, this is just as inappropriate.

Chris,

Young, impressionable kids may read your posts and even incorporate some of your pitching mechanics advice into their routines.

Why don’t you take this opportunity to tell them what your advice is actually based on?

If you are really a Moderator of this Pitching Mechanics forum, as you claim to be on your personal website, then I think you owe it to the people you are educating here to provide a clear indication of the basis for your ideas.

This is really not an argument, Chris–that completley trivializes the discussion. It is more concerned with a worldview–how you represent yourself on internet forums is completely your business, but nobody can make you feel ridiculous if you actually believe in what you are doing.

Okay, DM–I’ll let it go for the time being.

laflippin

Thank you.