Thrower's Ten Program

How many times each week should this program be performed? Or is it a workout you do everyday?

When I was out with TJ, I did it nearly every day. You don’t have to do it every day though. I would recommend doing it M W and F.

The exact details can be found in their booklet, which can be found here -->
http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/conditioningprogram.htm

The thrower’s 10 for rehab and injuries differs a bit than the program for healthy pitchers, so I can’t exactly be sure of when, how much, and how often you should be doing it.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“NPA Pitcher”]When I was out with TJ, I did it nearly every day. You don’t have to do it every day though. I would recommend doing it M W and F.

The exact details can be found in their booklet, which can be found here -->
http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/conditioningprogram.htm

The thrower’s 10 for rehab and injuries differs a bit than the program for healthy pitchers, so I can’t exactly be sure of when, how much, and how often you should be doing it.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Would it hurt me in anyway to be doing the program everyday?

Would it be a good idea to do the band work one day and the weights the next day?

If you keep the resistance low and the reps high, I’m sure you could do it everyday. I don’t know why you would want to though.

I guess you could do that. I really don’t know. That’s a good question for a physical therapist.

[quote=“NPA Pitcher”]If you keep the resistance low and the reps high, I’m sure you could do it everyday. I don’t know why you would want to though.

I guess you could do that. I really don’t know. That’s a good question for a physical therapist.[/quote]

I just wanted to start doing it to build up arm strength. Also we have been doing a lot of upper body work for football and I just want to keep my arm strong and loose to pitch and throw.

Is that Athlete’s Performance you go to the same one Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, and Manny Ramirez train during the offseason?

Yes it is.

I totally understand. I played QB in high school.

Just a suggestion, but if it’s possible try to substitute BB Bench for DB Bench, and Back Squat to Front Squat. Take it easy on Power and Hang Cleans. If you have to do them, lower the weight and do more reps. And make sure you are still doing sufficient core work. Don’t do lat pulldowns, pull-ups are much better and efficient. And try to stay away from the shoulder/military presses as well.

Hope that helps.

Yes it is.

I totally understand. I played QB in high school.

Just a suggestion, but if it’s possible try to substitute BB Bench for DB Bench, and Back Squat to Front Squat. Take it easy on Power and Hang Cleans. If you have to do them, lower the weight and do more reps. And make sure you are still doing sufficient core work. Don’t do lat pulldowns, pull-ups are much better and efficient. And try to stay away from the shoulder/military presses as well.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

For the BB Bench I try not to bring it all the way down. I bring it to about 90 degrees with my elbows. We did front squats a couple times and back squats a couple times.

Why is it better to do front squats than back squats?

Yeah, we actually do a ton of hang cleans ahaha. That’s probably he favorite excerise.

Aren’t hang cleans good for a pitcher? Because of the use of some much muscle and than the explosive movement, like pitching?
Why are they bad? I’m guessing because of the eblows jerking around?

Yeah the good thing is we don’t do lat pulldowns. We do pullups, a lot of them ahaha 3 sets of 10, then a max out round or 30 second negatives.

Front Squats are a better total body workout. You get your core and your lower back much more involved. It’ll also tell you if you’re deficient in either of those areas. You have to rely on your core, rather than your lower back to keep you balanced and in good posture. (Core activation and stabilization exercises are the best!) The reason Back Squats are called Back Squats isn’t due to the fact that your lower back supports, but I like to think of it that way. We like to keep as much pressure off the lower back/spine as possible.

Tip: Do the “X” style grip for Front Squats. Don’t use straps.

I need to refine what I said earlier, but I’ll start with the two cleans. I like Power Cleans for a few reasons. First, I like that you go through a full range of motion, starting from the ground rather than your thighs. Second, it’s easier to perform than a Hang Clean. What do I mean by that? It’s very easy once you start moving up in weight on Hang Cleans to allow your lower back to take over and support the weight in both directions, especially as you get tired. If you watch your teammates do Hang Cleans, specifically the ones who can move a bit more weight, check their posture. The first and second rep may look ago, but just keep watching. As they continue, do they appear to “lean back?” That’s what you want to watch out for.

Look, you can do hang cleans if you want. If you do them right they can’t be bad for you. I’ve never had them or power cleans on a pitcher specific program at API. The reason being is that pitching is linear and rotational. So, when we do explosive movements, we do exercises that are linear and rotational. See what I mean? I wish I could show you the videos, but you can’t access them without an account on Core Performance.

They have a 7-day trial on that site (
www.coreperformance.com
. You can sign up with that and look at the videos for every single exercise they do at Athletes’ Performance. You can also check out their baseball specific programs. They differ from Athletes’ version, but they are similar.

***What I forgot to mention earlier is the “press” part of the clean is something I really don’t like. (I’m about 3 years removed from high school lifting. It didn’t cross my mind till now.) Stay away from it.

I wrote a lot, so if some it is confusing or I didn’t present it very well let me know so I can rephrase. Hope it helps.

• Jake[/code]