Thoughts on being buff?

Yeah… What are your guys thoughts on being buff and being a baseball player. Not necessarily a pitcher. I know Frank Thomas is pretty buff and has been a pretty good player, but he is about the only buff player I can think of right now… Anyway what are your general thoughts?

lol, I just realized I stuck this in off topic instead of workouts and pitching. :lol:

I am 5’11 and 200lbs. I am a pretty stocky guy, not sure if you would call me buff or not. I have big arms and I enjoy working out to get bigger, as well as better at baseball.

The only time I ever ran into a problem with this was inbetween soph and junior year, I was really pushing hard on my bench and ended up losing some velocity. I changed over to dumbell bench and have not had any problems since.

Well being buff is overrated, I would consider being buff as not necessarily being big but being physically defined. I think it’s important to be strong but you don’t need to be a huge body builder looking guy and I don’t think you have to be humongous, especially if you have good technique.

[quote=“ICEMAN”]Yeah… What are your guys thoughts on being buff and being a baseball player. Not necessarily a pitcher. I know Frank Thomas is pretty buff and has been a pretty good player, but he is about the only buff player I can think of right now… Anyway what are your general thoughts?[/quote] well Jose Canseco was but he was on steroids

People always say that getting too big would be detrimental to baseball, what they mean to say is that lifting heavy and getting to rigid and stiff would be detrimental. OF all those who seriously lift weights, I would only say that 1-2% of those bodies are actually big enough to impede a throwing motion, or a swing.

As long as you stay explosive and flexible, getting too big shouldn’t be a problem. In my opinion at least, I’m very built and ripped looking without a shirt on, big bulky pecs, lats, all that, and I haven’t lost an inch of flexibility or explosiveness since I started lifting.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]People always say that getting too big would be detrimental to baseball, what they mean to say is that lifting heavy and getting to rigid and stiff would be detrimental. OF all those who seriously lift weights, I would only say that 1-2% of those bodies are actually big enough to impede a throwing motion, or a swing.

As long as you stay explosive and flexible, getting too big shouldn’t be a problem. In my opinion at least, I’m very built and ripped looking without a shirt on, big bulky pecs, lats, all that, and I haven’t lost an inch of flexibility or explosiveness since I started lifting.[/quote]

Wow, that was exactly what I was looking for. I just didn’t quite know how to ask it. Thanks

Yeah, see I’m strong but stalky, so physical definition doesn’t matter that much.