Thinking to small?

I went to a high school baseball game 2 days ago, it was varsity level.
If that game showed me anything it would be that i’ve been thinking small this entire time. Who is going to care about a HS pitcher 5-6 years from now?
Whats was the point of me oplaying HS ball . The chances for a scholar ship are slim to begin with. So what was my goal? I wanted to play at a higher level. That was the sole reason.
I was completely unimpressed by the game. I was actually getting abgry knowing i could compete with them. hell i’ve faced some of the pitchers in that game and i can hit them. The more i watched the more i was dissapointed and the more the idea of skipping HS ball and working my ass off even hard so i can play with bigger , better guys. College.
Ive been thinking. Maybe i should just skip HS ball and use that free time to work my ass off for about 2 years and tryout at a college?

and incase you;re wondering , i am not cocky i have been told i am good enough for hs ball by many many people coaches , parents and people ive never really met. and most of all i feel that i can play at that level , and i would like to surpass that level.

Well, there certainly have been cases of people playing college ball without having played high school ball. However, I don’t think it’s in your best interest to just work out on your own without playing. There’s no substitute for live play. If you don’t play HS ball, find another league or team to play for.

oh no i still plan to play summer ball and fall ball. but the demand on rec league is a lower load so i’d still be able to work on stuff. i also go to this hitting clinic all throughout winter
I also had a tryout with a legion team and the guy loved me but my timing was wrong and that he’d love to work with me nextr year

Gotty can you transfer?
Your spunk is great, determination and desire is the “hidden” asset that makes the difference with most of the players that get to those higher levels. You have left that team behind, stop torturing yourself by going and seeing them…unless it’s on the field and you are shutting them down, it is not productive for you to put yourself in a position to be bitter.
If you cannot transfer, then yes put your energy towards those things that can assist your path towards college. Look for opportunities to showcase your talents, now showcases can be very expensive so use your time wisely and PLAN!! Target where you will be showcasing and prepare. Making a plan at this point is very important, adjust when necessary.
Keep on keeping on Gotty! Follow your dream. Have faith and be confident.

well you should still keep on practicing because i dont go to highschool anymore and i still practice hard… you never know; if you have good stuff someone (maybe a scout) can recognize you and it can change your life.

What is a showcase??

showcases are games, series of games that are sponsered by…well all kinds of things Louisville Slugger, Easton, certain colleges…I know a couple of sites that list them, but I’m working right now…google it or hang on a while I’m sure someone will know a couple of sites…they can be expensive…contact your local colleges, some do it by invitation, some like UNF do a Decmber session that is oriented as a showcase.

edit to tell you that they are attended by scouts from both colleges and the pro’s

wishi could get into something like that but im stuck in rec leagues…

Where’s Gotty? What did you do with him? You can’t be him!

“wishi could get into something like that but im stuck in rec leagues…”

This is not the same attitude as the guy who started this post.
You are only stuck if you want to be stuck…If you want it bad enough, you will over-come what-ever disadvantage you may have, if not, well it wasn’t meant to happen.
If you find a travel team, they also tend to be at these showcases, if it’s a lack of funds…do some work, if none in your area…travel…Whats it worth to you? No one will kid you, without playing on a High School squad it’s gonna be harder, and possibly longer to get what you want, but remember…It’s you who say you have game…I’m believin you and making suggestions on how you can get around it…you my friend have to walk that valley. I think you have the heart…but what I think matters little, you on the other hand will determine where you go and what you do.

[quote=“GottyJ”]oh no i still plan to play summer ball and fall ball. but the demand on rec league is a lower load so i’d still be able to work on stuff. i also go to this hitting clinic all throughout winter
I also had a tryout with a legion team and the guy loved me but my timing was wrong and that he’d love to work with me nextr year[/quote]

i don’t know about your area, but in this area there are several teams/organizations that have high school and college coaches who also coach summer ball.

If you have your heart set on missing out on a great high school experience, then I suggest you look for one of these types of programs run by college and/or high school coaches. This can be an “in” for you in any case. Rec ball will not get you noticed or help to improve your game as much as a higher level of competition will.

Another opportunity out there are the “showcase” tournaments available to 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 year old players. Again, I don’t know about your area, but in this area there are several professional baseball training facilities that put together teams to attend these types of showcase events.

You didn’t ask for my opinion, but I’m with Roger. HS BB is not a requirement, but it is a valuable stepping stone. Not only for the competition, learning, and experience, but also because HS coaches are generally pretty well connected to the baseball machine that includes colleges. In many cases, kids get full or partial rides based primarily on what their HS coach tells the college guys that he knows.

Gotty, baseball is a chew-'em-up sport. A lot of guys just get frustrated and hang 'em up. That’s true even at the HS level, as your present feelings attest to. But hang in there man. Do your best. Work hard enough that you know you’re at your best when the moment of truth arrives, and if you do that, you will rise to the occasion. And then you can just relax and enjoy the ride.

Much love, brother! Good luck, and keep swinging!

The hoseman

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Where’s Gotty? What did you do with him? You can’t be him!

“wishi could get into something like that but im stuck in rec leagues…”

This is not the same attitude as the guy who started this post.
You are only stuck if you want to be stuck…If you want it bad enough, you will over-come what-ever disadvantage you may have, if not, well it wasn’t meant to happen.
If you find a travel team, they also tend to be at these showcases, if it’s a lack of funds…do some work, if none in your area…travel…Whats it worth to you? No one will kid you, without playing on a High School squad it’s gonna be harder, and possibly longer to get what you want, but remember…It’s you who say you have game…I’m believin you and making suggestions on how you can get around it…you my friend have to walk that valley. I think you have the heart…but what I think matters little, you on the other hand will determine where you go and what you do.[/quote]

My daughter has gone to gymnastics tournaments in the past, and they have an interesting way of paying for the privilege…they fund-raise.

Now, this may be hard for you, but I’m here to tell you, if an athletic, driven and engaging young man comes in the front door of the business and says “I’m working hard to make my dreams happen” and lays out a personal plan to earn enough money to attend one of these showcase events, there will be someone - GUARANTEED! - who will drop a dime on your dream.

Now, you may have to hit a hundred businesses before you get enough to make it happen, but if you are half as driven as you say you are, you can make this happen!

Gotty, take control of your future! Don’t rely on others to make it happen for you. Because if you do, it never will. Go out there and believe hard in yourself, and others will just want to be a part of your future.

Rock on, young brother!

The Hose

I got to this baseball thing during the winter where i’ve seen some college players and a wide variety of players. I beleive the main coach there might have some conections in basebal around here. He helped me get a tryout for a ;egion team a while back ( they said to come back next year because i came in too late and it would be unfair to the other players they cut) I might just give him a ring. He likes the way i play ball so i dont think he will have mmuch of a problem helping me out on this one.