Thinking about creatine

ok i just got creatine and was wondering if it be ok for me to take it. im 5’9 155. kids at school says its great. i heard its safe if you drink enough water. would it be ok to take.

http://www.pitching.com/article/should-high-school-pitchers-use-creatine/
id think it is good at all and its a waste.

wait what? Ristar i take creatine???

First, ask a doc.

If you take creatine, some studies have shown that there’s no need to “load.” Simply take 2 to 3 grams daily (your body can’t process more than this amount at one time) AFTER a workout/game. (At night with a protein shake is a good time to take it.)

You might feel a little stronger in the weight room. (I think this has more to do with the psychological effect of taking the supplement rather than an actual increase in “muscle strength” overnight.)

Drink about 1 gallon of water daily. This is a lot of water, so spread it out over the day.

Beware: Your legs may feel really heavy on long runs. You might feel sluggish. You might cramp if you don’t drink enough water – and even if you do drink plenty of water, you still may get cramps.

Lastly, don’t take with OJ (because of the acidic nature of the juice).

Is it worth it?

[quote=“RIstar”]http://www.pitching.com/article/should-high-school-pitchers-use-creatine/
id think it is good at all and its a waste.[/quote]

Edit: Steve posted while I was writing my reply, so I tried to removed anything I noticed that I repeated…

And also to add onto what Steve said: About mentally feeling stronger: There’s around a 60% chance that the placebo effect will improve your performance alone.
This is why quality studies worth referencing are done with a double-blind placebo, people don’t know if they are taking the test substance or basically something like sugar.

First I need to say that I am not endorsing taking creatine, I’m trying to actually get the facts straight for once.

WOW RIstar, You ABSOLUTELY cease to amaze me with your posts.

I think if Mills wants to be anti-creatine/supplements his article did a poor job of supporting this opinion, here’s why…

Of any supplement in the world Creatine is probably the most well researched supplement.

I have searched for weeks and months for studies on creatine and they are essentially 100% positive. Not only for increasing lean body mass but there is also evidence that it may help prevent diseases such as parkinsons.

First it is fairly well accepted that not 100% of creatine makes it to the muscles. Thus all the variations from the standard monohydrate have been attempted to create a better absorbing creatine.
And almost all studies were done on mono, yet all show great effectiveness.

This whole money wasting thing is interesting. You probably loose more pocket change throughout the day than a serving/days worth of creatine costs. It’s between about 10 to 18 cents per 5 gram serving (you actually don’t even need that much all the time) depending on the size you get.

The thing that just killed the articles credibilty for me was definately at the very end. “Being a better athlete takes hard work and dedication.”

This is a propaganda line after Mills chose to refer to someone else to form his opinion. If Mills actually knew how creatine worked he would know that it does little for you unless you are working hard. Basically creatine allows you to work harder, making greater improvements.

Now to the more specific case/question

My opinion on the situation could be very short, if you have been lifting for only a few months and still continue to add weight to your lifts. Simply put you do not need it.

Else, reference below…

This is one of the worst things a high school kid taking advice on what to put into their body by equally uniformed youth. If someone cannot explain what creatine actually does I do not feel they are “mature” enough to take a supplement.

First of all i have to say consult a doctor as Steve said.

I’m not calling you out dtrain I’m just saying there’s piles of info out there. Do some research. One thing is not to look at ads or things articles of companies pushing their supplement, As they are often fiction and terrible reference material. Remember claims are not regulated by the FDA so they can technically say whatever they choose.

So do some research, understand the process, mythology, benefits, and what you have to do to go about seeing any of these benefits.

As far as creatines negative effects, I searched, searched and searched and did not truly find a problem yet…
I have not seen a definitive thing on creatine messing with the kidneys as mills pages suggests. The general consensus is creatinine, which is broken down creatine is a sign of poor kidney function in a regular adult not taking creatine, however it does not actually cause problems.

I’m not 100% decided on that issue.
Also since creatine is relatively new it doesn’t have any extremely long studies. Although I’ve actually seen several things suggesting that in a while it will be suggested to take it regularly to help prevent muscle breakdown, prevent diseases, help vital organs, ect.

I encourage you to do some research, If you think you may be old enough to take it than I think you are old enough to research.

There are no promises for long term health since creatine has not been been around long enough for long term problems.

You need to weigh the positives and negatives of the situation.

"If someone cannot explain what creatine actually does I do not feel they are “mature” enough to take a supplement"
I think it would be great thing to take out of high school when you creatine levels are not as high like when you are young. If you take it in college then that if fine but if you are a high school baseball player i dont think it would be safe because the body already produces enough.

ive been taking creatine for 4 months and i have seen results. I have never had any problems with it. It made my weight lifting go up tremendously. I also have not got any cramps either…from my experience with creatine, its a good buy.