Thing that pisses me off most

I dunno why, but when I fake a pickoff throw to a base and the runner doesn’t even flinch, that’s the thing that can mess with me the most.

Anybody else have this? What’s your most annoying thing that opposing batters/hitters do:

Yeah I hate that. I was pitching in a game and had a runner on first. I knew he would want to steal, but he wasn’t taking a huge lead off, so I step off and fake, but he didn’t move. So I took two steps towards him and he still didn’t move. I had to run towards him and pump fake to get him back to the bag. Guess he was just testing his reflexes and my arm. Caught him stealing on the next pitch, but gotta give credit to the catcher.

Guys - don’t overlook the fact that the only reason to attempt a pickoff is to keep the runner close and from getting a good jump on you. If he wasn’t taking a huge lead and goes no where when you step off, so what? You must have done something right (quick to home) to catch him stealing!

As for the “fake to 1st” move, I usually see that with the younger group (9-10 year olds). By the time they are your age (12-13-14) you should have a better eye for catching that runner sleeping and getting him back to the bag.

If they don’t flinch, you’ve used that move up. Either throw it to 1st or go home with it. But vary your set times, throw over before being set, have a slow move, a fast move, and a balk move. But skip the fake to first.

The specific time I was talking about was a runner on second base when me and my shortstop (MLB material I tell you – great fielder AMAZING bat) who has good communication with me were going good. We had picked off 2 runners already and this guy was taking a big lead. When the guy’s going nowhere no sense to take a chance at an error, but this was a great opportunity. Just … yeah.

If he doesn’t go back who cares. Unless he has a crazy lead don’t even worry about him. Don’t let things like that get to your head.

Ed Lopat was talking to me one time about holding runners on base, and he said: “You know, you’re not out there to set records with pickoff moves. You’re there just to hold the runners close to the bag. You can throw over there once, maybe twice, just to let the runner know you know he’s there—and go after the batter.” He said this after I told him about my uncertainty regarding this aspect of pitching; I hadn’t had very much occasion to work from the stretch—not as a starter anyway. He also said, "It doesn’t help either if the pitcher has a high leg kick or is slow to the plate—the runners see this this and can get a good jump on someone like that. But you work pretty fast and you use a slide-step, and that makes the runner think twice about getting a big lead."
At our next meeting he worked intensively with me on this, and I felt a lot better. Then, in a game I pitched a few days later, one opposing batter got on base via an “excuse-me” hit—and I picked him off with a snap throw. Yummy. :slight_smile:

when batters do not swing period. and they trick you into laying one right down the pipe and end up smoking one to the gap.

Note to eaglebaseball2011:
Yes, batters will do that. They’ll stand there and take every pitch, let the count go to 3-0 or 3-1, and that’s a situation where most pitchers feel they have to come in there with a nice juicy fastball. It is indeed a trap, and most pitchers fall right into it. But there’s nothing in the book that says you have to!
If you suspect that the batter is sitting on the fastball, don’t give it to him. Throw him a nice juicy breaking pitch, low and away, and if he takes that one, okay, he gets a base on balls, and that takes a lot of the pleasure out of his at-bat. Not only that, but with him on first base you can have your infield go to double-play depth if there are less than two out. But you can also turn the tables on him. Throw him a pitch that looks like a fast ball—until it suddenly breaks sharply, like a knuckle-curve or a slider, and he’s more than likely to swing at it and miss by a mile. I used to face that situation from time to time when I’d have to come into the game in relief of a pitcher who had been taken out of the game with a 3-0 count, and I’d go right after him with one of those aforementioned pitches. 3-1 or 3-2, and I’d have some breathing room, and then I’d get him with old Filthy McNasty—my sharp-breaking slider. Side retired.
And if he gets any wood on the ball, more than likely he’ll hit a soft grounder to one of the infielders or even a comebacker that you can grab and throw to first for the putout. 8)

lmao, if that pisses you off you should try golf. Im taking anger management courses atm because of what that sport did to my mind.

Well, this isn’t along the same line of other experiences that the rest of you have made but… the thing that use to get me the most… for five years mind you… was this darn pop corn concession right next to our dugout!

The concession was run by volunteers and the ladies usually started poping just after the first ball was tossed out.

That smell would drive me nuts … especially the butter pop corn.

After the second inning … I couldn’t stand it any more! I’d sneak down the dugout hallway… out the side of the player’s entrance to the locker room, up the stadium steps… down to the rear entrance of the concession booths and … " Say there Mabel… can I have a large box with a lot of butter"

Then right after the fifth inning I’d be thirsty … so… down the dugout hallway … out the side of the players’s entrance to the locker room, up the stadium steps… down to the rear entrance of the concesson booths and…" Say there Mabel … can I get a bottle of Nehi?

By the end of the eight inning I was stuffed with pop corn, butter, salt and a about five bottles of Nehi. And you’d think that it wouldn’t take much just to turn away and think about something else.

AAhhhhh… there’s just something about the smell of buttered pop corn at a ball park! One season I went from a 40 belt size to a 45 belt size. Darn that was GOOOOOODD Pop corn!

Losing a 3-2 battle against a pitcher, the kind where you throw four or five foul ball pitches, and then either walk him or he gets a hit. Drives me crazy, its a pointless 10+ pitch atbat that just tires you out and makes you show your best stuff.

It certainly can be infuriating, when the batter you’re facing is your pitching opponent and he happens to be a pretty good hitter. Back in the day, when the American League was full of good-hitting pitchers, I used to see a lot of that. And even when the batter was a position player…I remember one game, Yankees vs. Indians, I was home listening to that one because the game was in Cleveland, and Phil Rizzuto was at bat in the top of the eighth inning, bases loaded, one out. He ran the count to three-and-two—and then he started fouling off pitches, spraying them all over Municipal Stadium. Foul down the third base line. Foul down the first base line. Foul into the Yankee dugout. Foul here and foul there. Twenty-seven in all, and everyone was wondering, when is this guy going to stop? Well, the twenty-eighth pitch came in, and Scooter blasted a bases-clearing triple off the left-center-field wall and then scored a moment later on a wild pitch.
The thing is when a batter starts fouling off pitches, he’s starting to get a good read on them. He’s getting a good look at a pitcher’s stuff and no doubt thinking about which one he wants to hit. Perhaps the best thing to do in such a situation is walk him, then take a moment or two to catch your breath and perhaps call your catcher out to the mound to decide on what strategy you’re going to use with the next batter. By the way, the guy at bat when Rizzuto scored on the wild pitch was Vic Raschi, and he got a base hit. And the Indians had to go to their bullpen. That made it a laugher.