Thick UCL

Our son is a sophmore pitcher/infield with 1 d1 offer. Threw too much in high school so mri and has thickening of UCL. Will do the PRP but wondering why he cannot wait until after the summer season (hate letting down his team/maybe lose them since he is new) or why not play a week after it? We caught it because his velocity went down. If we could do it over again we would have an MRI at beginning of high school as a baseline and pull him after 50 pitches in high school (yes, we sent the coach an email stating none over 70, but it was ignored). Any guidance?

Your son’s health is the most important thing. Shut him down now if you haven’t already. “thickening” in a tendon or ligament means it is sick and/or attenuated. In my own son, if this happened during his sophomore season, I would shut him down for three months of throwing. Work strength and conditioning, then gradual, and I mean gradual return throwing over the course of a bout 3 months before allowing him to return to play. Junior year/summer season before November signing day of the senior year are way more important than Sophomore summer if he plans to play college ball.

Mutzman,

“Threw too much in high school so mri and has thickening of UCL.”

We should all understand that only certain type mechanical actions put the UCL under over stress conditions and that mitigating this type of force application is what will and does eliminate the problem.

UCL degradation from overstress happens from the Humerus being to late (synced with glove side foot plant, walking response neural signal) in outwards rotation causing “late forearm bounce back” where excessive valgus stress is created.

Eliminate or greatly reduce this and you can throw away the notion pitch counts are what cause UCL degradation!

Will do the PRP but wondering why he cannot wait until after the summer season (hate letting down his team/maybe lose them since he is new) or why not play a week after it?

PRP is still a theory and a light patch at best, good luck!

Your son needs what most ignore and then continue on their traditional path of mechanical repetition.

“We caught it because his velocity went down. “

This is known as “dead arm” where the ligaments start loosening in the Elbow and shoulder. This laxity is unseen and unforeseen, it is a gateway indicator. Ligaments have no pain receptors.

All traditional performing youth pitchers go thru the same things but never realize why or see it.

“If we could do it over again we would have an MRI at beginning of high school as a baseline”

If every pitcher at that age got this done you would see degradation in them all, and all of them would choose to keep performing in the same traditional manor!?

Your baseline should be his biological maturity (for increases in his training opportunity timeline) and eliminating his pathomechanical training and performance.

“(yes, we sent the coach an email stating none over 70, but it was ignored).”

If you were an Orthopedic surgeon, would he still ignore the prime directive? They are the ones saying “pitch counts” cause the pathology not the pathomechanic, while being kinesiologically inadequate.

“ Any guidance? “

I can only tell you how I mitigate these problems, not the normal baseball establishment.