There's not lawsuits in baseball! Or is there?

I don’t even know how to respond to this, friend of mine sent me this, last year my kid took inside pitch in the left hand and broke a bone in his hand, I guess I should have sued (just kidding it’s all part of the game).

Buwhite, there have been more lawsuits in baseball—all kinds—than one can shake a bat at. Two come to mind immediately. The first was a complaint to the Commissioner of Baseball: Tommy Henrich had been the property of the Cleveland Indians, and they had kept him hidden in the minor leagues, promising to bring it up to the Show—but they never did. So Henrich wrote to the commissioner, and the latter investigated, and the end result was that Old Reliable was declared a free agent. The Yanks promptly signed him, and from that time until he retired at the end of the 1950 season he was a most valuable and valued member of the team, helping them to several World Championships. The other example, more recent, was Curt Flood who actually took the case to court. He lost the suit, but won a major victory for the players; that was the beginning of free agency. No longer was a player a virtual slave to the team that owned him.
So you can tell your friend that there have been, and are likely to be, more lawsuits in the course of the game. 8)

Would someone consider to sue in football or hockey if their kid got hurt, just seems a little silly just because the kid couldn’t make the play. I am sure there would have been another law suit if the coach said well, little Johnny just sucks and I don’t think he should play because he might get hurt.

One of the very first contacts that I made when I got my first job in this business was to introduce myself to an attorney. A family member introduced me and I’ve been grateful ever since.

There are a lot of good people in this world - but, their not the ones that you got to look out for. It’s those that’ll blind side you at the drop of the hat. Now with exception of outright stupidity on one’s part, staying out of situations that’ll get you in hot water should be a given. Sometimes, it ain’t.

A player in a dugout across from ours, autographed a ball, then “tossed” it to the kid wanting it, only to have the kid miss the throw, and the ball hit an older women in the face - breaking her nose and her glasses. Her lawyer prosecuted the case with the reasoning that the player’s actions went over and beyond the liability warning on the lady’s ticket stub. “You don’t just toss objects like that into a crowed area of people, not expecting it.” was the argument. The only saving grace was a picture showing EVERYBODY - ten seats deep in every direction standing up with their hands out waiting to catch this baseball. So the argument of “not expecting” kind of went out the window.

Here in Massachusetts we have on the books a “do no harm” environment, where if you help someone and they later claim some kind of injury because of your actions - ANY INJURY, a very expense lawsuit is just around the corner. And even the most imaginative scrip can be composed when money is involved. I’ve seen it first hand.

Statements of Agreements, Free of Harm Contracts, etc., etc., can be whittled down to bare bones by a good attorney. Remember, money is involved. Then there’s the old “mean spirt” - I’ll get you, thing.

In the amateur coaching ranks, I don’t know how you folks survive. Financial support in short supply, “if-ee” field conditions - especially pitching mounds, volunteer coaches who have nothing more than the goodness in their hearts going for them, and a multilayered system of politics - so on and so forth, I’m surprised that youth baseball has survived at all. Then toss in the ever-present amateur umpire(s), who try to hold all this together, and I can only think to myself sometimes …” are these people all nuts!”

Law suits in this game, at the amateur level anyway, must be far and few between, or the game wouldn’t exist at all. But once would be enough for me.

To all of you, in any capacity, that are involved in amateur youth baseball - God Bless You. I sincerely mean that.

Coach B.

I really appreciate the fact that there have been many coaches that have helped my kids become stronger over the time that they worked with them, now I really have even a bigger reverance for their work.