The workout of a 20 year old!

Everyone else is doing it so here I am. Feel free to criticize, point out the positives, or even both. It’s a 5 day workout, here we go:

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Jog 5 miles
Workout legs (4 sets each of the following: Leg Press ( 540 pounds), Leg Extensions (170 pounds), Calf machine (Dont quite know the name- 450 pounds)
Abs (with medicine ball)
Theraband ( 3 sets of 3 different movements)

Wednesday: Sprints with 5 pound weights on each leg (15 sprints of about 70 - 90 feet)
Throw (about 150 feet with softball, throws on a line, not arched, but it doesnt really matter)
Running excercises ( quick sprints of shorter distance after I throw)
Bench press (Incline, Flat, 3 sets at 135 pounds)
Dumbells (3 sets each of Tricep workout and the normal bicep lift)
Theraband ( 3 sets of 2 excercise)
Shoulder workout with a 10 pound dumbell

[b]Thursday[b]: Jog 5 miles
Workout legs (4 sets each of the following: Leg Press ( 540 pounds), Leg Extensions (170 pounds), Calf machine (Dont quite know the name- 450 pounds)
Abs (with medicine ball)
Bullpen session

Friday:Sprints with 5 pound weights on each leg (15 sprints of about 70 - 90 feet)
Throw (With a lighter ball)
Running excercises ( quick sprints of shorter distance after I throw)
Bench press (Incline, Flat, 3 sets at 135 pounds)
Dumbells (3 sets each of Tricep workout and the normal bicep lift)
Theraband ( 3 sets of 2 excercise)
Shoulder workout with a 10 pound dumbell

Saturday:Jog 5 miles
Abs (with medicine ball)
Shoulder workout with 10 pound dumbell
Throw ( Longtoss with a regulation ball, throws on a line abot 200 feet)

Sunday: Rest

Running with weights on your ankles has been attacked by most modern fitness trainers as being counter-productive. It makes the person “swing” the leg forward instead of running normally. You might want to switch to sled pulls or running with a parachute.

Leg presses and leg extensions are also not optimal for a baseball player. You don’t sit down when engaging the muscles on the field, why would you work out that way? Back and front squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts would all be more “bang for the buck” than machine exercises.

I have beaten the long distance running thing to death. You mentioned your opinion about that on the other thread, so I’ll just leave it at that.

Overall, the only thing I think you should change would be the lower body lifts, and add more variety to your upper body lifting. Benching twice a week is overkill, IMO. Go one day with benching, another with DB fly’s or maybe even some explosive circuits for the chest. You might want to add in some dips (weighted or not) and pull ups to subsitute for the tricep and bicep days.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Leg Press. Its one of the best exercises out there that gives you amazing power in your legs. Doing something with a non baseball movement dosent make it a bad thing to do.

I hope so RedSox, we’ll see if it produces some results

trust me, I have seen results

Personally, I like barbell front squats over leg press due to the fact that I feel it’s a more functional exercise as far as pitching/specific weight training is concerned. It also provides a good ab workout. :slight_smile: But then again, I’m currently doing a bodybuilding type split because I’m able to stay more consistent with it at the moment. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck!

And if you want, to expand off what kc said, you could do bb incline press one day, and bb flat press the other day during the week.