The Value of Video

My 11 y.o. son has been having a great year but a few weeks ago he started pulling his glove side shoulder out early and his control suffered some as a result. Despite my efforts to describe it, he said he couldn’t feel any difference in his mechanics and didn’t know what was wrong. I tried to tell him what I was seeing, but nothing was clicking for him.

On Sunday I had him watch some pre-season video we shot when he was throwing pretty well and I described the difference between what he was doing now (i.e., pulling his g.s. shoulder out early) and what he was doing then (i.e., delaying shoulder rotation and staying closed). He immediately picked up on the problem. We went outside and threw in the driveway. Within a half dozen pitches, he was back in old form. Monday he pitched one of his best games, striking out 11 in four innings.

Lesson learned: Video can be worth thousands of dad’s words. Having video of your kid’s mechanics when things are working well can be a great diagnostic tool when something is slightly off that he can’t pinpoint on his own.

Doublebag

Definitely agree.

Had a similar situation with my younger son. I kept telling him one thing but he either didn’t believe he was doing it or didn’t believe he was doing it to the extent I claimed. Showed him video and looked at him and could tell the light bulb had just come on without me even saying anything. Next time out on the field, he made the correction all on his own.

Doublebag–Try the CV300 video package from RightViewPro. With the pitching module, you can watch frame-by-frame video analysis of your son’s mechanics, compare him to the pros, take a pro and flip him to make him a right/left hander, compare him to himself from a previous lesson, etc. We use this and my son’s coach, a former AAA pitcher, uses this in his lessons. You can also use the same package for hitting. There are several pros in the package to model yourself after, including hitters and pitchers. Good luck!