The Timing of Hip/Shoulder Separation

So when right when your Glove Side foot lands, your hips should open, correct? Now, more Hip/Shoulder separation leads to more velocity, but does one want to do this quickly? How long are your hips and shoulders going to be separated like in the pictures that you can see of guys like Tim Lincecum?

I didn’t explain that too well, sorry.

[quote=“Orangepeel”]So when right when your Glove Side foot lands, your hips should open, correct? Now, more Hip/Shoulder separation leads to more velocity, but does one want to do this quickly? How long are your hips and shoulders going to be separated like in the pictures that you can see of guys like Tim Lincecum?

I didn’t explain that too well, sorry.[/quote]

why don’t you watch some of the video clips on this site? Hips open into landing, shoulders stay closed, and are then pulled around by the hips.

hips open just before landing and shoulder open at foot plant

At foot plant, hips open only enough to allow the front foot and leg to open into foot plant. How much the hips open at this point is dictated by the pitcher’s flexibility. After foot plant and after the front leg firms up and braces, the rest (and larger part) of hip rotation occurs.

So, at foot plant, the shoulders are closed and they should stay closed until after the rest of the hip rotation. They only need to delay rotating until the hips have fully rotated (i.e. it’s not a very long delay).

[quote=“Roger”]At foot plant, hips open only enough to allow the front foot and leg to open into foot plant. How much the hips open at this point is dictated by the pitcher’s flexibility. After foot plant and after the front leg firms up and braces, the rest (and larger part) of hip rotation occurs.

So, at foot plant, the shoulders are closed and they should stay closed until after the rest of the hip rotation. They only need to delay rotating until the hips have fully rotated (i.e. it’s not a very long delay).[/quote]

Are the hips supposed to just rotate naturally or are you supposed to force yourself to rotate them? Cause when mine rotate without trying, they dont rotate that much. (wow i just said rotate like every other word)

Should be pretty natural. I can’t say I’ve ever instructed a pitcher to “try” to rotate the hips. Maybe you’re lacking momentum. Or maybe you lack strength in the legs required to brace after moving faster down the hill. Or maybe you stride to the throwing arm side and block off your hip rotation.

Thanks. Three years ago I had acceptional location but wasn’t overpowering. My era was under 1. Now last couple years I forced my hips to rotate and have awful location ever since, and my era has rose into double digits. I’ve learned how important it is to throw strikes is. I’m guessing that if you force your hips to rotate you have a good chance of rotating them too early in your delivery and throwing accuracy way off.