The story of the slip pitch

Woah, what hostility! I came hear to read one of Zita’s amazing stories and all the comments just turned me off. =[

Great story Zita. Being a beginner who can’t get my slider to dive half the time, I can’t imagine what kind of movement this “Thing” has. I just spent half an hour trying to find a picture or some media about how this pitch moves, but I’m lost lol. Can you explain its movement? Would you count it as a hard pitch or a pure breaking ball?

As I indicated earlier, the prerequisite for that slip pitch is a good slider.
Let me refresh your memory on how to throw it: You grip the ball with the index and middle fingers off-center and very close together, with the middle finger just touching one seam. As I was told, you throw it like a curve ball but with an easier wrist action—you just roll your wrist, don’t snap it. You can practice it by throwing the pitch with your normal curveball action and then ease up on it, and you should get a good break on the pitch. I remember how I threw my curveball with a sharp karate-chop wrist action and had to get used to easing up on it, but eventually I got it.
For the slip pitch, you can use either a two-finger or a three-finger knuckleball grip—which one you use will affect the break. Basically you throw the hard slider with it, which makes this pitch a fast-breaking one. And once you have it, you’ll find that it really screws up the batters’ timing—and their thinking. I remember how I used to have fun with it, especially when I used the crossfire (I was a natural sidearmer). And incidentally, pay no attention to the negative comments—the person who posted them was talking through his back end. 8)

[quote=“4pie”]i cant believe how much you keep posting the same stuffs over and over again, just a reminder here, you’re like 70 year old a woman and pitched in little league. stop writting down novels about your playing days like you went 25 seasons in the majors.
secondly, a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip? seriously? to me that just sounds like a pitch that would go slow, get little to no break on it and be wild as %?& what does the knuckleball grip is suppose to do? only thing you will get is less torque on your spin and weak control.[/quote]

4pie-
That was totally un-called for.
How rude and disrespectful some people can be.
I love reading Zita Carno’s posts.
She’s one of my favorite commenters on this site.

tiki510 try dropping your arm slot a bit when throwing your slider

That’s the first time I’d ever heard that story.

Is that how you throw your slider (meaning you drop your arm slot lower)?

Zita Carno-
you said in an earlier post regarding the slider “you throw it like a curve ball but with an easier wrist action—you just roll your wrist, don’t snap it. You can practice it by throwing the pitch with your normal curveball action and then ease up on it, and you should get a good break on the pitch. I remember how I threw my curveball with a sharp karate-chop wrist action and had to get used to easing up on it, but eventually I got it.”

What do you mean by rolling your wrist?
(I’ve never really learned how to throw a slider correctly)
For a right-handed pitcher, would the wrist be rolled towards to left arm or away from it?

Okay, CardsWin. However you throw your curve ball, just practice easing up on that wrist action. Everybody throws a curve differently. I threw mine with a sharp karate-chop wrist snap, so I just practiced easing up on the wrist snap. As I indicated, this is not a pitch you can pick up in a week or two, and I spent some eight months working on it until I got it where I wanted it, what I wanted it to do. I would suggest that you get in touch with a professional who throws it and have him work with you—eventually you’ll get it. 8)

I would say Thanks,
but that probably set everybody in an uproar
over my (in the words of others) “inane” or
"meaningless" post.

“Inane?” “Meaningless?” Come on, CardsWin—you asked a perfectly legitimate technical question, and I did my best to answer it. Stop selling yourself short and get to work on that pitch. :slight_smile:

No, I didn’t mean anything against you or myself.
Haven’t you noticed that over the past few days
I’ve been getting some really heated answers to posts.
I replied to some posts from either 2006 or 2007,
and a whole bunch of people seemed to think that I shouldn’t have answered them.

CardsWin—do you remember an old story about the dog in the manger? This particular pooch was stuck in there with a huge bale of hay which he couldn’t eat, of course—but he wouldn’t let anyone else near it. There are people like that on this planet, and unfortunately some of them are on this board; they didn’t have the answers to some questions several years ago, or they thought they knew it all, and they don’t like it when someone else can answer it. They think they’re being shown up, or they resent it when someone tries to catch up. Listen, I’ve gone back into the archives from time to time—but usually it was because someone here asked a question or made a comment that I felt warranted further investigation.
You’re obviously a person with a lot of questions regarding pitching in its various ramifications, and you’re looking for answers. I have a suggestion, take it for what it’s worth—if you have a question, pm me, and I’ll be glad to help whenever I can. Once they get the idea that you’re not just out to bother them, they’ll lay off. 8) 8)

@ Zita:

I tried throwing this pitch in the front yard (flat surfaces;no mound) and the ball kept breaking really weird. If I throw the pitch and I get more spin on it, it moves almost like a knuckle curve. But if I throw it with less spin it does this funky thing, it spins in circles. :?: Literally it spins in little tiny circles like a mini merry-go-round. My dad couldn’t catch it so I can’t till practice today. But anyways is it supposed to do that? Thanx Zita

That pitch will do almost anything you ask of it—the only thing it can’t do is broil a steak.:lol: Seriously, though, because it’s a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip (or a knuckleball thrown with the wrist action of the slider, take your pick), it will do both the things you described—and maybe more. You should ask your dad to get one of those oversized
catcher’s mitts like the ones catchers use for knuckleballs. If he had trouble catching that pitch, think of what’s going to happen to hitters trying to hit it! They will probably lose their balance and fall over on the tush like some overturned bug.
And once you get that worked up, you’ve got yourself a devastating pitch. Go to it. :slight_smile: 8)

CardsWin yes thats how i throw my slider