The Role of Intent

My latest article on how intent and fitness are tied together, as well as the announcement of yet another 90 MPH thrower in the class of 2015!

Great stuff Kyle

Loved this! FYI, there is a Youtube video of Nolan Ryan pitching in the 1981 All Star game where you can hear an audible grunt with every pitch he throws, and I’m old enough to remember watching games which he pitched, and that’s what he always did. That’s how I learned to pitch, literally throwing the ball as hard as I could against the wall of a barn. I had coaches, and even a base ump once, tell me to “just back off and throw strikes.” I never listened, and eventually became a college pitcher who could get it to 88. I only wish I had been fortunate enough to get great instruction like Herbie and Garrett when I was their age! I have 2 cousins who play baseball, and the youngest is a 10 yr old lefty who pitches. I told his older brother once that the only thing the little guy should worry about is firing the ball as hard as he can, and not worry about what his mechanics look like. My cousin laughed at first, and then realized that I wasn’t joking. I told him that if the intent is to throw strikes and look pretty doing it, that will be what he learns to do. However, if he wants to be a guy who throws hard, and get the chance to pitch at higher levels of baseball, he’s going to have to “learn to throw hard!” [/i]

Awesome… shouting out ol Sherf. Love it

Love the kid, has a great arm (seen up to 98 before) with a wipeout slider.

Kyle, good posting and I want to thank you for giving credit with respect to “intent to throw”.

With respect to Nolan Ryan this is a posting I made back in 2004:

Here’s the clip itself:

http://www.setpro.com/baseballthinktank/nolang1.wmv

Here’s a post from a couple of people who “got it” i.e. the question I asked.

Speaking of giving credit where credit is due on another website I saw the following:

To set the record straight, Wilforth didn’t know a thing about Bernstein until I gave a seminar at his pitching boot camp back in 2002.

To demonstrate here are a few postings from the SETPRO website dating back to 1999. When I did a quick search for postings where I mentioned Bernstein on the SETPRO website it came back with 57 posts.

Maybe the person who thinks that Wilforth is the Bernstein expert might want to come to Pitch-a-Palooza to get the “real story” regarding how the body most effectively organizes and learns how to throw the baseball.

I always try my best to give the original source credit. It’s why House’s skirting of the issue of deceleration training (a Marshall-first tenet, which was really a Soviet sports science first, though Marshall applied it first to baseball) vexes me so much - similar to your feud with Ron, so it would seem!

Ah I love Sherfy as well, I’ve tried to model myself recently to things he does. Shhh… I may be the next Sherfy with a wipeout slider. I’m a little ahead of him as compared to where he was at my age. I believe. None the less all those guys you named are awesome.

Parents and coaches,

Kyle’s excellent article is dealing with biologically aged 16 and up where the growth plates in these individuals are solidified at the elbow.

This information dealing with maximal determination should not be intended for the biologically aged 16 and below!!! This maximal effort stress does raise deformation rates in youth pitchers by prematurely closing growth centers (growth plates) and produces even greater injury to them in other ways also. Even nominal stress causes these injuries that are not recoverable from, once you loose this ability to grow it can not be recovered and permanent.

It would be appreciated that when people like coachxj talk about this important tenet they make this disclaimer for accuracy. They never do, then parents and coaches bring it right down to the youth levels, elevating this permanent injurious effect.

Intent is so much more than maximal effort from the mound. The intent and max effort should be there long before one takes the mound.
I believe training including throwing with max effort can begin at younger ages. This training of the body and potentially the mind can ingrain these traits to future endeavors, including pitching.
Intent can and should be present in younger kids as well as mature. Like everything else programs need to be tempered and formatted for individuals including those younger. Blame for injuries simply can not be put on intent or max effort. If injuries occur due to over zealous parents, then those parents are accountable, not the role of intent or effort.