The Pursuit of 1,000,000 total posts

Finally got around to watching the new three stooges…

Was torn about it, had some good laughs in it, the guy who played Curly I thought did a great job.

Made want to go and watch some of the original three stooges and some Abbott and Costello.

As an avid Stooges fan since the late 1950’s, I was also apprehensive about the new 3 Stooges movie when I heard about it.

Didn’t see it in the theater during it’s very brief run, but rented it via NetFlix–I thought it was great. Very true to the essential spirit of the Stooges.

Trying to bring my kid up right, I had long ago bought the complete collection of original 3 Stooges shorts on DVD:

As extensive as the original collected works is, it is still finite and by now we’ve seen every episode many times over (except for the Joe Besser years–we tried of course, becasue an addict will try anything, but we just cannot watch those). We were hungry for more when the new Stooges movie came out…it was like a starving man dining out at the Waldorf Astoria for his first good meal in years.

Thanks for sharing the link la I’ll have to look into that and see about adding it to my collection!

today I saw a man with two broken legs on home made crutches limping by and I offered him a seat at my table (Iwas eating my food at a restaurant patio) Only to hear him say “Gratias dios por todo dia” Which when translated to english means thanks god for every new day… I thought that was pretty inspiring

Blakey…great post!

Last night, I was relaxing after dinner reading and looking out at the field behind my house. My area is in deer country. I have three yearlings that have taken up residence because there are lots of food sources nearby…apples, nuts, acorns, turfgrass, blackberries, cherries and the wife’s perennials.

This time of year, the bucks are running around in bachelor groups, feeling their juices flowing with the rut approaching, cool nights and sunny days, and the shorter days. I had three bucks running around sparring with each other, licking the salt and eating apples that fell on the ground. I noticed a deer hanging back around the dogwoods at the edge of the field. I got my binoculars and found he was a young spike but then he took a step…that’s when I noticed he had one broken leg that had healed into a contorted useless twisted mass of bone, flesh and hair.

It was a real struggle for him to make it to the apple tree but he did. He had to kneel down on his good leg to get an apple off the ground to chew on. The other bucks ran circles around him and nearly knocked him down a couple of times. I felt pretty bad for the poor beggar. Chances are he won’t make it through the winter with that leg. We often get several feet of snow cover.

Reading your story today…that’s the difference between man and beast. None of those other deer are ever going to get up and give him their seat.

Indeed !

Great posts

In my former vocation, I often had occasion to talk with young men who for one reason or another got into trouble with the law. Some were just minor scrapes, other acts would cost them freedom for a good part of the rest of their lives. And then there were many in between.

Invariably after we got past all of the necessary details of the crime, the victim, and the confession…the conversation would turn toward a question I didn’t have to have answered.

Why?

Disturbingly, many times the answer lay in their relationship to their father. Some had never known him, some had wished they never knew him and some wished to reconnect with him. For whatever reason, the father had never taken much interest in them and it was reflected in their attitude toward society.

I had been lucky on that account. My father was well…a lot like this.

To all the fathers who aren’t perfect but inspired their children to be just like them.
:hi:

Today, my family and I drove up into the mountains to catch glimpses of the elk herd. We counted 25, bulls and cows. Anyone who hasn’t heard the bugle of a bull elk is missing something. I get the same feeling when watching a v formation of geese honking their way toward open water or the gobble of a mature turkey just out of sight over a wooded ridge.

Perhaps the feeling is comparable to when I first gazed upon the insides of that cathedral called Forbes Field or first stared down at home plate from the “Green Monster” in Fenway Park.

Whether relating to wildlife management or to baseball stadiums, I think this quote by Aldo Leopold from “A Sand County Almanac” has great insight:

When you are out slugging your way through life this week, don’t forget to look around for things that used to please you as a kid. They will always be there.

Love it, Dino! I sat down on an old wooden stairway leading to the beach on Cape Cod this past Monday morning. About 10 boats were moored in a dead calm harbor, the sun was up, and there was a slight breeze in the air. Man…if I could go back I would work my butt off every day to play college baseball in that environment each summer!

I drove up into the mountains on a new delivery route that passes one of the largest dams east of the Mississippi. The construction of the dam offended a local Indian tribe but President Kennedy said they didn’t matter, stole 10,000 acres of their land that had been granted to them by President George Washington, relocated 600 Indians forced out through eminent domain and displaced several small towns. It is estimated that since it was built it saved almost 250 million dollars in flood damage that would have occurred and quite possibly numerous lives. I’m sure the Indians are feeling better about that whole “get out of town” thing. Lots of good boating on that reservoir though.

Do Indians play the blues?

The leaves of the trees are changing to varying colors of blazing red, yellow, orange and green set against the grey overcast and occasional blue sky. Hunting camps dotted the edges of the national forest but there are many modest year round homes rooted among the rural landscape. Self reliant people live in these mountains. They are not wealthy but they appear to be happy out and about their places.

That guy’s got a good thing going there. One things for sure…he gets a big “Thumbs Up” from the cat.

Hadn’t paid much attention to “Coldplay”. Music reveals a link between generations. A song inspired by George Harrison of the Beatles.

Thanks Jimster

He does great covers of a lot of songs. I can listen any of his songs, even ones that I don’t like the normal version of. Probably the best cover singer I have ever heard on youtube.

Folks…we are getting ready to roll over 1,000 replies on this thread. Hop on and say something positive !

[quote]Cabrera finished the regular-season hitting .330 with 44 homers and 139 RBIs, leading the American League in all three statistical categories, making him just the 15th player to achieve the Triple Crown and the first since Boston’s Carl Yastrzemski in 1967.
[/quote]

Anybody that got to see this guy this year…should be smiling.

I never thought I’d see it happen.

It’s a truly remarkabke achievement!

Had the opportunity to see him this year against the Angels but missed it. Am thinking about getting playoff tickets perhaps if the work schedule play’s out nicely.

Get there Wales !

If you aren’t tapping your feet , check your pulse…you’re dead…

I’m working on it Dino trust me my friend!

The only thing that’ll stop me will be if I have to work when they are at home.

The Cleveland Indians have hired Terry Francona to be their new manager.

Very Cool ! :coolshades:

Very cool indeed, but I gotta admit I was kinda disappointed only because I really think Sandy Alomar is going to be one helluva manager and I was hoping Cleveland would give him his first opportunity.

The Indians will likely get both of them on the staff for next year. Behind the scenes, Alomar has been told he is next in line.

Francona is ,IMO, taking this job for mostly sentimental reasons and because he misses being in the dugout. However, he is very vulnerable to the stress of a losing or frustrating season. I’m thinking of it in terms of concussions as an analogy. He got beat up pretty bad in Philadelphia, went to Boston and was really on the verge of catastrophe when they won four games in a row and went on to the World Series. He was able to ride the big money team to another World Series but the stress of a big market finally got to him and he had to get away. I don’t believe he was fired, more likely he resigned.

So while I think Francona is great for Cleveland, I think Alomar should stick around because he will be getting called sooner rather than later. Francona will be a great manager to learn from.