The Pursuit of 1,000,000 total posts

Flippin,

I don’t know if it is the nostalgic theme or the exploration of days gone by but I found that to actually be for a “particular reason”.

Jerry Garcia became fascinated with bluegrass and “Old Timey” Hillbillly Mountain music. In "Going Down This Road Feelin Bad…you can hear the influence of Woody Guthrie and Doc Watson, of course with the blues and rock of Grateful Dead you get the long version.

I don’t know if you can play this music without having gone through it.

I can tell you that " the universe may or may not have meaning, but it sure seems to have a sense of humor." --John Gierach

Goin’ Down the Road Feelin’ Good…

My son broke his glove side arm last week. :frowning: Stupid skateboards. Out 4-6 weeks. It happened when he was over at a friends house where he was going to spend the night. I should have known something bad was going to happen though. As soon as I get there to drop him off, his friend’s mom comes out to say hi and gets locked out of her house by their dog!

Flippin,

You ought to let the kid pass every once in awhile otherwise it looks like you guys are going in reverse all the time. And …who stole all the trees from the landscape? My chainsaw couldn’t get much use there.

viking,

Wal Mart sells giant rolls of bubble wrap. That’s the only way you’ll prevent that. Sounds like the dog got tired of being told, “Good boy…good boy.”

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Ohio got to catch the Reds vs Tribe. It was everything you could ask for short of a no no or perfect game.

Tribe walked off on a 2 run homer bottom of the 10th off of Chapman.

That kid is pretty impressive. Was throwing 96+ and made it look like he was playing catch.

The park is fantastic. They have a great Heritage Park kinda like monument park at Yankee Stadium. Lotsa tributes to some great players.

And the icing in the cake for the trip… My buddy found where the great Cy Young was put to rest, so I got to pay my respects to him. An absolutely incredible experience!

Even though it was Ohio…glad you made it down to the lower 48 8)

I finished reading a wonderful novel today, recommended to me by a good friend. It was uplifting, imaginative, and…like reading a story about my own life as a boy.

laflippin …

Boy, did that picture of the car in your post take me back!

I was in Lumberton, N.C., and I bougth a 1938 Dodge for about $300 bucks, to get me home. My ole standby, a Rambler went by-by. I spent the last $10 I had to put a tank full of Flying A high test in the ole girl and off I went up US 1.

Just before the Jersey line, the steering knuckle went and a few shurbs latter, a guy from a AMVETS help’d me off the AMVETS front lawn and into the AMVETS parking lot were he and his son fix’d the car. Wouldn’t accept a dime for it either - that’s about all I had in my pockets, come to think about it.

I should have kept that Dodge, it would have been worth something today.

Coach B.

re: “I should have kept that Dodge, it would have been worth something today.”

—Yeah, but your great stories and tips are worth even more, John.

That Dodge would have been quite the nice souvenir for the end of a good story.

Quick question that did not seem deserving of it’s own thread. I took a video of myself pitching and long story short, I’m trying to figure out velocity (I found the amount of frames it took to reach the plate and went from there). However, I didn’t throw the ball from 60.5, at my release it was more like 55 feet. I also used a very basic way to derive the velocity. I used v=d/t. This would give me the average velocity. I understand this would not necessarily mean the average velocity would be at the half way point from the mound to the plate. However, I want to guesstimate the velocity of the ball when released, so I am using it as the midpoint velocity. How much velocity does an 80,85,88, and 90 mph pitch lose as it gets to the plate?
I want to split that and half and add it to my average velocity to have a (quite inaccurate, but somewhere in the ballpark) idea of my velocity when I release the ball.

CodenameX

Yes, that Dodge would have been a nice soiuvenir. I named the car Commander Cody after a movie serial that I use to follow at my home town’s movie house. With every trun, start and stop at every traffic light, it was like an ole mystery serial at the movies - what next! The thing was cheap because it had no back seats, the metal wall speperating the back seats from the trunk was hacksawed out to make room because the car was used to haul produce back and forth from a farm to a road-side fruit and veg stand. With no passenger window, two speeds out of three that worked and a gas ration stamp still stuck on the driver’s side windshield, it was just the ticket for cheap transportation home.

I’d like to suggest a neat way to check the velocity of your throwing - find one of those road side cop radar stands, pace off about twenty steps, have a buddy stand next to the radar display, then let-her fly. Your ball’s speed will register on the large radar display. Cool!

Coach B.

Coach B.

Haha, that sounds awesome (pretty cool name too), but slightly unnerving to be drive. And thanks for the tip, I never thought that would work. But, now I’m definitely going to try it. It also sounds way easier than the rudimentary method I was attempting to use. Thanks!

My 1st car was a total classic…junker that is… 8)
a 1962 Chevy II 4 door…3 speed on the column…such a rusted hulk of $200 worth of junk all piled up…my drivers side back seat was rusted clean through…I covered it up with a stop sign…I just happened to “find”…my front bench seat was broken loose…so when I let the clutch go I had to pull on the steering wheel to keep from ending up “rocking on into” the back seat…the front floor rusted through at the fire-wall so I had to stuff things into it :lol: …some girl threw a cigarette out (She thought…) it flew in the window…ended up catching the back seat on fire (I was at work and some guy walked in and said the rusted hulk in the parking lot was burning :shock: )…the alignment was so messed up the it looked like the car was moving at an angle…steering wheel turned about a quarter turn…I lost 1st gear so the smell of burning clutch followed the car like a dark cloud…not sure it ever had “real” working brakes so I had to engine brake the stupid thing everywhere I went, the emergency brake actually earning it’s keep 8) …no working heater…my air conditioning was provided by God and whatever speed I could develop…(In the old days they called it 2 60…as in 2 windows and 60 mph…mine was 4 40 :lol: ) it only had an old AM radio so I ended up singing Frank Zappa songs to the fools who ended up taking their lives into their hands and riding with me :lol: …the old girl went out in a blaze of glory one crazy night…flying across a ditch to mercifully snap the steering linkage…I walked away…having gotten every stinkin nickle of my $200 bucks out of it… :mrgreen:

That’s too bad jd…the 1970-71 Nova SS was a bad mamajamma and my first car…the old man sold his 1969 Mustang (white with red interior) for $300 bucks and the neighbor kid who bought it promptly wrapped it around an old oak tree at the end of 'dead man’s" curve. If it weren’t for that twist of fate…my first car would have been a classic…but then I could have been the one to kiss the oak tree.

The SS was yellow with black stripes and could pass anything; anything accept a gas station that is. Could only fill the tank up half way or it would leak. With my shag carpet on the dashboard and an 8 track player on the tranny hump and a squirrel tail hangin from the mirror, I was the envy of probably nobody but it didn’t matter. I had tapes tossed around all over the inside of that thing, Iron Butterfly - “In a gadda da vida” was a good cruisin tune and a leftover from my older brother.

The old man had Eddie Arnold tapes that I would hide under the seat when I had passengers but they would find their way to the player when I was flying solo. I could fit all my fishing equipment in the back without bending a rod or breaking a tip.

So what does a smart hip college grad do to follow up on his first car? He trades it in on a gas saving Datsun B-210. :oops: You know, I have no memory of driving that thing anywhere. No memory at all.

:lol:
My brother and I were the worlds champs at 8 track cassette “repair”…bubble gum, duct tape and baleing wire…what-ever it took :wink:

My ex-brother in law was the motorhead…he also had a Nova (I always grin at the spanish meaning :lol: No va…no go… :roll: )…then Chevelle SS…then (My fav) a 72 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland, “Shaker Hood”…My sister and I saw a portion of a 7 or 8 car police chase (He wanted to douse his lites and pop into my dads driveway…to no avail :? ) in which he was able to elude local constabulary and 4 Ky. State Troopers late one night…he was awoken the next morning to the ding a ling ring of a very solid Ky State Troopers mag lite as it repeatedly dented itself upside his head :shock: as they drug him out of bed and off to the Hoosegow… :oops: … :nono:

When I was in high school, I found this 54 Pontiac 2 door. A straight eight that I had the heads shaved, John’s popup pistons, fire ring piston rings, Holly trips, a three speed from an old Essex and an Olds posi-rear.

It took me and a few guys an entire summer to put together, but when she came together, I did pick up a lot of pocket change “running” the dirt service roads. The straight eight fooled a lot of guys. Also the three speed Essex trans was quick and responsive as was the Olds rear combination.
But, my lack of experience in the dynamics of automotive frame and suspension, finally caught up to me, …… well my father really. Dear ole dad left his local Teamster Hall one night, trying to beat some on- coming traffic and ended up about a ¼ of mile down the road before he knew it – fishtailing all the way.

I ended up getting rid of the thing. Got myself a 58 T-bird, 352 horses bored out, ISKY ¾ race cam, HURST shifter, dumps exhaust with LAKERS, and a lot of other goodies. The 50’s were a great time to grow up, stuff was cheap and we didn’t need a lot of computers and gadets, just know how and hard work.

Coach B.

Of course, Coach B. you are so right. I had to make the best of the 70’s as fate would have it. American cars would be crowded out by the Japanese fuel efficient tin cans. The Arab oil embargo would cause the price of gasoline to skyrocket and there was odd/even rationing along with lines at the gas pumps stretching for a mile down the road. Even union truckers went on strike and independents were shot at along the highways. The 55 mph speed limit and energy conservation, cold houses in the winter, I mean wool cap - long johns - electric blanket sleeping cold three dogs in your bed nights. The wood stove came in handy again. Oh the good ole days.

But if we didn’t have the gas to run a muscle car, we had our music.

In 1970 this from a local group who hung with Donnie Iris:

And this took rock/blues into the spiritual realm:

Man, is there anything worse than a Datsun B210? :no:

Well, yes. Yes there is. A Datsun B210 Station Wagon. Which is what my mom had and was the first car I got to drive. :oops: :cry:

But my first car was a 73 Chevelle Malibu. That car hauled arse. :allgood:

Well, Roger, you sure know how to make a person feel better. Station Wagon !
That’s as bad as a Dodge Dart… :twisted:

I always wanted a Buick Grand National. :frowning:

Today my son asked me to go pond fishing with him. At first I thought I had something else I should be doing…then I realized there are only X number of invitations from your son in a lifetime and you should never voluntarily make it X-1. I’m glad I went. 8)