There are similarities within the pitching cycle itself that I use to look for, that are solid measurements of strength and longevity, tolerance and minimal health issues later on in a man’s career. In fact, selling a pitcher outright, acquiring his replacement is business as usually for everyone, and those descriptions that I just mentioned above, are all related to your question, in one way or the other.
Top end velocity for those that routinely cruise in the 90’s are all dependent on the training that includes strength and longevity, tolerances and health issues – diet & nutrition tailored to the baseball season’s experience and so forth. So, as part of your fact-finding, collect that information first and you should find a common thread(s) that most – if not all, of these burners have in common.
Performers have some commonalities that just about everyone overlooks. People inherently want to gravitate to the visual experience, without doing the homework of how that visual experience is/was supported and nurtured. Sure – I do this-n-that is basically what you’re looking for , but if I were you, I’d go further and get the totally story.
Here’s an example of what I’m driving at:
I had a pitcher who was stocky, only 5’11”, but portly in the mid section with absolutely no flex at the midsection, very little drive off the rubber, and literally upright on the release. Talk about totally contrary to the popular notions at the time of how and why pitchers should pitch. The man was good for five solid innings of work- but needed 8-11 days rest, mandatory. His only claim to fame, 96-98 mph no sweat, but only against certain clubs. 60% of the clubs we faced, he had them cold. The other 40% lit the guy up good. So, this pitcher was used smartly, specifically designed for a purpose.
His secret – swing that belly/girth around like a wrecking ball on a chain and use his enormous shoulder build to howitzer the ball as hard has he could. No grace, no form, nothing that I’d ever want to see a youngster doing, but for him it worked. His diet was overloaded with carbs, lots of fruit and he was a bottomless pit for pizza.
Any who, getting back to my suggestion earlier - most of the pitchers that I’ve been responsible for had specific diets in the offseason, preseason, prime season and post season. They also had specific conditioning routines and so on. When they went to work, most of the time, everything clicked and their numbers, velocity included, was evidence of the preparation. So, collect your information the best you can, throw out the extremes, then include what those pitcher’s did to attain those numbers. You’ll get a darn good idea of not only the numbers game, but how those numbers came about.
When I stopped to think clearly about your total question, it intrigued me. Also, I was serious about putting your findings in writing. Consider having someone read over your collection, put it in manuscript form, review it again, then ask for some professional guidelines to publication. You really might have something there. Best wishes on your project.
However, don’t be discouraged if no one, and I do mean no one, wants to give you that information. Pitchers in the professional game guard their development and how they do things. It’s kind a like professional trade secret thing. By the way – that’s why there are guys like me. I can pick apart a man and tell you days, even weeks in advance, if and when he’s going to go-or-no-go, and the “table” value of his shelf life. We’re not “friends” with many in the business, just for that reason. So, your project is worth looking for, from my perspective.