The Perfect Ace

Something i’ve always debated with myself and the others around me, namely my dad, is what would the perfect ace look like. His stuff, his character, the way he carries himself on the mound after giving up a homeruns after three walks in a row, his looks, his height, his handshake. This is something i’ve always wondered to myself growing up, what kind of pitcher do i want to be? The answer to that question is the type of pitcher coaches want on the mound, but that’s not a very exact answer. And so here’s my question to you guys. What is your module of the perfect ace?

and now I see someone who can potentially challege his greatness;

and of course from back in the day…Iron men ruled;

This would be Fergusen Jenkins who won 20 games a year for like 8 in a row;

I assume you’re talking about the professional game - not amateur.

What most people don’t see, is the planning and preparation before the season actually begins. In that regard, the pitching coach and his staff, go to exhausted lengths to prepare every one of their pitchers - on the roaster and those that may be brought up, to balance the staff to the potential lineups that they’ll be facing. So, everyone does their best, within the bank of resources, to say …. “ok… we’ll use so-n-so again these three, then if he can handle this one and that one, we’ll let him ride… but… we’ll have so-n-so waiting in the wings… only if… and only if this-n-that.”

Now as the season progresses, all that kind of goes out the window… and it’s sometimes a crapshoot to put it bluntly. Other times… for a short run, things just seem to work.

And another thing, most of the guys on the pitching staff know who their facing and what the guy brings to the park… it just depends on just how good that stuff is that day/night. Vice-versa, a 99% of the guys that step into the box has seen the guy pitching sometime in their careers, so the shoe is on the other foot… sort of speak.

Now without taking credit away from a pitcher who really has it all together one day… and one day is usually the case for many… the statement of… " The answer to that question is the type of pitcher coaches want on the mound" holds a lot more credit worthiness than most would think.

I make those statements heretofore because as a pitching coach (retired) I wasn’t employed to teach or coach guys the mechanics of his craft, nor how to pitch a fastball, curve, etc. Pitchers at the professional level are like tools in a toolbox. Collect the right tools individually and in total, then select the specific right tool for the right job… However, sometimes even the best plans goes up in smoke.

I was watching Orel Hershiser, a sinking ball pitcher, face Cecil Fielder in the box. Orel Hershiser was a great sinking ball pitcher - but - Cecil Fielder was a great sinking ball hitter. Well, on this day, as good as Hershiser was, Fielder was better. This is just one of the beauties of this game.

So, a lot of guys can be shinning light on one day …. then with every other pitch, be looking into the lights the next day.

I know I didn’t address your question directly… but hey… as a former pitching coach, I’d like to think that us guys behind the curtain get some credit… ,just saying…