The Next Mark Prior (Mechanics)

This was one of laflippin’s youtube videos and I noticed how much this kid looked like Mark Prior mechanically.

[youtube]LHP From USC High School Prospect camp, August 30, 2008 - YouTube
[/youtube]

The next Mark Prior?

Is this kid a prodigy like Prior? How fast does he throw? How old is he?

His elbow is above his shoulder line… which from O’Leary’s site I am inclined to think that is bad.

I dont really see it dude, so they both use an inverted w arm action. So does Jeremy Bonderman and John Smoltz, as well as countless other pitchers i dont need to name right now. in my opinion, Prior does have a much more visible w than either this kid or smoltz. This kid also looks like he generates a little bit more momemtum than Prior. Maybe laflippin can clear some of this up for us.

I don’t know if he’s a prodigy I just thought that they looked similar. They both have an Inverted W, they both use little momentum, they both follow through similar, and they both pronate very little. But I do admit this kid is a little more rotational than Prior.

I’d be curious to hear how you would describe “rotational”.

It’s when your front leg swings out and around into foot plant and rotating your hips more.

The next Mark Prior is Steven Strasburg.

Check it out:

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/11/18/665018/quick-note-stephen-strasbu

Good point they are very similar. Both went to schools out west, both throw hard, but lets hope that stephen strasburg turns out better.

i would call Strasburg more rotational than either the player in the first post or Mark Prior

Yeah I guess you could say that but all three are pretty linear.

you can’t be serious about stephen strasburg as the next Mark Prior…

Yes, I am. Would you like to expound on your point rather than make one-line posts?

please tell me how you think stephen strasburg is like mark prior if you notice he does not have the inverted w and also he is rotational as the other guys said…and and…his elbow is below his shoulder.

Mr. Boddy, I do enjoy your blog fokr my reading pleasures and such (I am not really much of in a belief of this ‘safe’ mechanics, but I do enjoy reading some about it), but one of your posts in the blog had me befuddled:

From Unauthorized Access

‘This pitching motion is absolutely unique to Anthony Reyes and Mark Prior (teammates at USC and taught the delivery from Tom House who was inspired by Paul Nyman)’

I seriously, seriously doubt that House was really inspired by Nyman. House was a prominent guru character since his MLB coaching days while Nyman was an engineer who rose to the instruction world in late 1990’s. Nyman disagrees many materials of House philosophy, which should mean a lot. For the arm action itself, House does not advocate a specific type of arm action… I mean, Cole Hamels and Sean O’Sullivan are House disciples since their HS days and they have different arm action as Prior, Reyes or Kennedy’s.

I’d like some sort of citation on that too…Nyman has ever been critical of the Tom House/NPA approach and I’ve not heard any mention of Nyman from the House camp…et al (Not that I am all emcompassing but still I’ve not seen any House/NPA literature which acknowledges Nyman as inspiration for any part of their incarnations). I think House being a MLB pitcher and pitching coach before Nyman even hit the small time is reason enough to question the statement.

All,

I am quoting Chris O’Leary on this issue, and I had found another source for it, but I can’t seem to locate it right now.

Regardless:

For the record, Tom House does NOT “leave the arm alone” like many people say - or even what House said in “The Picture Perfect Pitcher.”

In at least the recent past, he has advocated the “double spin” (Japanese) or “fast arm” (his adaptation) actions that have the elbow pick up the baseball in an Inverted W position.

Wow.
Chris offered what proof of this?
He also has been debunked on Priors injury timeline by simply having to face the fact that Priors injuries stemmed from a collision with Marcus Giles and a line drive off the elbow, this as noted on this site several times by simply looking at Priors history on MLB.com…that aside…besides being completely apochraful (Meaning that it is an “out of time statement”…in other words like I said House was teaching mechanics way before he even knew Paul was alive and this includes working with Prior before same)…It simply is not true. In the article you linked he identified Kenny Rodgers picture as Greg Maddux ironically, perhaps Fruedianly…
Nyman has complete disdain for Chris as a simple search of this site can prove and the fact that in his opinion Chris has totally misused and mis-understood the phrase (Not theory) that Paul coined “Inverted w”. So Chris is surmising a position which is false and House has never subscribed to “teaching” a delivery motion which suggests presenting in the manner in which Prior delivers, he said at one point that he believed that Prior’s mechanics were near perfect, which incited Tom House haters to point and say that this disqualified him from…well everything…which is absurd on it’s face.

[quote=“kyleb”]All,

I am quoting Chris O’Leary on this issue, and I had found another source for it, but I can’t seem to locate it right now.

Regardless:

This sounds like a misguided attempt to discredit House. House applying a Nyman theory to a young Prior? Highly unlikely.

I went through the NPA/RDRBI coach’s certification (for the 4th time) just two weeks ago. And, once again, I heard the very clear message to “leave the throwing arm alone” (except for blatantly problematic arm actions).

This is absurd. I have never heard House mention “double spin mechanics”. This article

describes double-spin mechanics as having the hips rotate in sync with the shoulders. House promotes hip and shoulder separation (ie. hips rotating before shoulders). In fact, he claims 80% of a pitcher’s velocity comes from this. Double spin mechanics would seem to make a pitcher entirely rotational yet people accuse House of creating pitchers that are too linear. This just doesn’t make any sense.

Tim Melville, the 4th round pick of the royals is the most similar to Mark Prior that Ive ever seen. Theres a vid on youtube of him in the top high school prospects something or other. Hes like third on the list.

[quote=“kyleb”]All,

Regardless:

For the record, Tom House does NOT “leave the arm alone” like many people say - or even what House said in “The Picture Perfect Pitcher.”

In at least the recent past, he has advocated the “double spin” (Japanese) or “fast arm” (his adaptation) actions that have the elbow pick up the baseball in an Inverted W position.[/quote]

LOL, House subscribing to Nyman, completely absurd, but not a surprising character assassination attempt from a Marshallite.