The near impossible dream: My journey to pro baseball

I’ve decided to plunge myself head first into realizing my dream. I don’t post here, but I’ve been a lurker for almost a year now. I’ve been inspired by people on this board such as Lanky Lefty and Dan Blewett, and people off this board, such as Rinku Singh and Jim Morris. One of the main obstacles that was holding me back from truly making a go at this has been resolved.

A quick overview, I’m almost 25 years old. At the beginning of 2012 I decided I wanted to start playing baseball, my goal being to become a pitcher. I had never played baseball before in my life. I’ve worked out and thrown, but I haven’t truly dedicated myself to it, mainly because of personal issues. All that is gone now, and I’m 100% dedicated towards my goal.

Name: Seymour
Height: 5 11 (True barefoot height)
Weight:174
Throws/Bats L/L
Position: Pitcher
Alternate position: CF
Pitch arsenal: 4 seam fastball
Velocity: Have not been gunned

Long-term goals: Professional baseball

Short term goals: Become a successful pitcher-player in Recreational league baseball

Shorter term goals: Increase velocity, learn secondary pitchers, learn proper mechanics

How I will achieve

Working out, throwing and doing it the right way.

Recording video of myself working out and throwing and analyzing it

Listening to and following instruction from knowledgeable baseball minds

Practice all aspects of the game, fielding, backing up on plays, etc

Playing in competitive games

Good luck you’ve got a long steep road to climb with many twists and turns and ups and downs along the way. I’ll be interested in following you.

I gotta ask though why all of a sudden at age 24 did you decide to want to play Baseball and why do you think you can go pro at it with no previous playing experience whatsoever?

Good luck and all the best to you!

Good luck man - I am 23, so I feel your pain.

Wales, I’ve always been a baseball fan, and moving to FL and being around a ton of ballplayers gave me the itch to play.

I think I can go pro at it because of irrational self belief. I’m not interested in discussing how realistic my goals are, because I know they are very unrealistic, however, they will not change and I will try 100% to achieve them.

The day before yesterday I long tossed, with another player on a local field. It had rained earlier, so the field were very muddy and it was hard to get traction. We threw down the LF line, which was 295 from home to the wall. Judging from this I’d say I got out to about 200-210 feet before I pulled down. Once I got to 60 feet I threw about 60 pitches at max effort, I feel I threw well especially considering the horrible field conditions but no way of knowing velocity.

Worked out at my gym yesterday, wanted to max out my lifting to gauge my strength.

I was able to dumbbell bench press 65LB barbells 4 times. One arm DB row 75LB with left hand 5 times, 55LB with right hand. Back squat max was 225LB 2 times.

Did a bunch of other exercises on the machines. I feel my upper body strength is decent for a guy my size, my lower body strength, not so much.

One area where I’m clearly weak is endurance. Yesterday I tried to run for 3:30 on a treadmill set to 10MPH and wasn’t able to.

I’ll work on my endurance by running a lot of sprints (off the treadmills) and some longer distance running. 1 or 2 mile runs. I don’t plan on running over 2 miles, from what I’ve read about pitchers needing to be explosive.

I’m not going to be the one to tell you, you won’t or can’t or whatever. That’s not my place, I’m not the one with the gun or the guy looking to sign a kid to a contract.

So followup question,

What’s your timeline to achieve the end goal?

When are you going to know IF/WHEN the time is up to walk away from the end goal and readjust your goals?

If you’ve never played I’d get some video up here quick so you can start trying to make adjustments mechanically.

What are you looking to throw pitch wise? FB, CU, CB or SL?

I’m not going to be the one to tell you, you won’t or can’t or whatever. That’s not my place, I’m not the one with the gun or the guy looking to sign a kid to a contract.

So followup question,

What’s your timeline to achieve the end goal?

When are you going to know IF/WHEN the time is up to walk away from the end goal and readjust your goals?

If you’ve never played I’d get some video up here quick so you can start trying to make adjustments mechanically.

What are you looking to throw pitch wise? FB, CU, CB or SL?[/quote]

1: If by the time I’m 30 I feel I’m not where I’d like to be I’ll probably give it up. I’m in this for the long haul.

2: Not sure about that

3: I’m thinking 2seam FM, 4 seam fastball, change-up and slider.

I have video, but it’s all old. I ordered 2 camcorders off Best Buy’s website the other day to record myself. They’re aren’t high end by any means, but I’m on a budget.

Here’s an old video of me throwing. It’s from May.

Look man, your goals are so far out there, you might be borderline insane, but I have a ton of respect for a guy who’s willing to put his dreams out in the open for the world to see. Don’t let anybody put you down (I’m not saying you were Wales…just talking in general). If you’re really going to put 5 years into this, you can do some amazing things. The human body is truly incredible. I’ll be following and supporting you along the way. Welcome to the grind. Go get it.

Thanks changepiece.

My max squat is 4x at 230,
Max deadlift is 5X at 230

In 2 months I want to weigh 185, a 10 pound weight gain, and be squatting and deadlifting 300LBs.

I’m long-tossing today. My arm doesn’t feel great. There’s a nagging pain I get above my elbow, right about where my biceps begin that has bothered my since I started throwing. KyleB says it’s inflammation, when I began throwing the pain was really bad, now it’s bearable and sometimes it doesn’t bother me at all. Fortunately, that’s the only thing that’s ever bothered my while throwing. My camcorders just came in, so I’ll have some video.

Very frustrating day. It was raining and in an interval between storms me and some guys from a local rec team tried to long toss. I didn’t warm up properly, because it was going to start raining again and it was getting dark. Got to about 180 feet. My arm was not feeling strong at all, and I was sailing my throws towards the left, a tendency of mine.

I think today I learned it’s better to no throw at all if you’re not warmed up properly.

Back to the grind tomorrow.

Hit the gym today, with focus on upper body flexibility and leg strength.

Benches 230 5X, did 350 on the leg press 3 sets of 7. Hit the machines for glut work, legs lifts, and inner and outer leg abductor.

Did a quick dumbbell set.

Dumbbell press, 60LB barbells 2 sets of 5

Dumbbell Row 75LB left arm 60 LB right arm, 3 sets of 5

Dumbbell push press 40LB left arm 35 LB right arm 2 sets of 5.

Pull ups 4 sets of 5

Then worked of flexibility, did bar hangs and a lot of stretching. Tried not to do any exercises that would place a lot of stress on my elbows, I want to be rested as I’m going out to throw tomorrow.

Tomorrow I’ll long toss by myself, might max long toss depending on how my arm feels. I’ll record myself long tossing and pulling down so I can get a good look at my arm action.

Sounds good keep at it. When ate you planning on getting gunned so you know your velocity?

Whenever I find a place to do so.

Me opening up with an easy 160 foot crow hop throw.

Should check out the MLB Open tryouts and see if theres one in your area its free to attend and youll get a reading.

There are none in my area. A friend of mine is going to the Royals open tryout August 9th in Ft Pierce but that’s a little too far from Tampa to go to get a reading, obviously I have no chance of getting signed.

That’s too bad, have you thought of contacting a local HS Coach and explaining your situation, ya never know they might take the time to do it or even a summer team in your area?

Yea I know a local high school coach. Was going to go out and practice with his team but their summer league just ended. I’m going to be working out with them for fall ball though. In the meantime I’ll keep looking for a place to get gunned. Buying a gun is also a possibility, I’d have a max budget of about 120

Check out ebay you can usually get them for a pretty good deal there, I know a guy about a month ago who had a couple he was looking to sell cause he bought a new one I can ask him and see if he’s still got them if you like.