The Lost Art of Longtoss

i found this interesting article of defending the importance of longtoss. should make for a interesting discussion. :lol:

http://baseball-articles.com/longtoss.html

Here’s what Tommy John says about longtoss:
I’m not an advocate of long throwing. Shortstops and catchers don’t long-toss, so why do pitchers do it? That’s an outfielder’s skill. Guys are out there throwing 200 feet. But the muscles you’re trying to strengthen as a pitcher have no idea if you’re throwing 60 feet or 200 feet. The speeds are all about the same from 100 or 200 feet if you put some paste on it.

I asked (Dr. James) Andrews this–if you get back there 100 feet and you’re throwing 82 miles an hour, why not just go off the mound and do the same thing instead? That way you can throw at that speed, but also practice throwing at the outside corner and inside corner. Catchers, outfielders, shortstops, they all have practice specific throws. Pitchers are the only ones who do the majority of their throwing without practicing the specifics of their job. And pitching is the practice of specificity. Throwing in four- or five-inch corridors, changing speeds–how can you do that unless you practice it all the time?

I still feel like long toss is a great way to build arm strength. Either way I am a Pitcher/Out Fielder so I still need to throw that 250-300 feet so I do it to begin with.

It’s not that I don’t like longtoss,
it’s just that I don’t believe it should be used to gain velocity.
Longtoss should be used to improve a pitcher’s stamina, etc., not velocity.

It won’t build “arm strength” it will build arm efficiency.

Throwing a baseball can’t build stamina lol. Skill conditioning and physical conditioning are completely different aspects in sports.

[quote=“TheUnDiscovered”]It won’t build “arm strength” it will build arm efficiency.
Throwing a baseball can’t build stamina lol. Skill conditioning and physical conditioning are completely different aspects in sports.[/quote]

No, longtoss will not build arm “efficiency”.
You have to have the efficiency first,
in order to be able to throw the ball that far.
Throwing a baseball will build stamina.
Why else would a pitcher throw when not in a game?
Why do young pitchers throw less pitches than older pitchers?
Why do major league pitchers throw usually about 90-120 pitches per start, while Little Leaguers seldom throw more than 60-80?
Because a Major Leaguer throws more often than a younger pitcher.
It’s been proven for years and years.
Being able to throw the baseball takes energy,
so throwing the baseball for longer periods of time will increase a pitcher’s stamina.
A pitcher must also do physical conditioning to build up stamina (particularly in his lower body and core).
However, physical conditioning alone does not increase stamina.

By arm efficiency, undiscovered means that when throwing at a shorter distance one can get away with flaws more easily. It’s easier to hit a target that is 60 ft away, then one that is 200 ft.

Thanks for making that clear!