The Long Road Behind and Ahead

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone who sees this is doing well! It’s been a long while since I’ve been on this site but I’m glad to see it’s still up and running!

My story is a bit of a long one so hopefully you can manage your way through but if not I understand!

As a college baseball player, I started off at one of the top Juco’s in the country as a pitcher. We finished 2nd in the country my freshman year and that was the first time I had really gotten a taste of high level baseball and where my will to get drafted became what I wanted to achieve more than anything. About 4 weeks into my sophomore year, I blew out my elbow and had to have Tommy John surgery which really threw a wrench into where I was wanting to go in my baseball career. After not getting to play my sophomore year, I was still able to go to a high level DII school and have the opportunity to play there.

My first year there, we were very competitive and were a game away from making it to the World Series, however I struggled that year finding it after being so fresh off of TJ and did not have a good spring at all. However, that summer I played in the MINK league and really started to find it again. I was 88-91 out of the pen and started to gain a little bit of attention. After that spring, I had made the decision to transfer to an NAIA in the same town so I could have the opportunity to have my school be covered more by scholarships.

That next spring, I was throwing the ball very well as our ace and was able to be an All-Conference selection that year. I had always struggled with putting on weight, and living in a dorm for the first time I sat at around 6’ 3” and a measly 170 pounds. My velocity had also dropped slightly because of how thin I was.

I came back the next year after having spent the summer living in the weight room and things were really looking up. I had gotten up to 185 pounds and that fall my velocity was up to 89-92 at some showcases I went to and had a couple of scouts start to show some interest. Once spring rolled around things were on a bit of a downhill slide. I was facing some off the field family issues and was not making the wisest of choices and had a very up and down spring. At once point I went from having a complete game shutout with 13 Ks to the next game having a Cardinals and Royals scout in the stands and giving up a grand slam in the 1st inning. I knew my dreams of getting drafted were flying out the window and it took a toll on me mentally. On top of that, my grandpa passed away the day before my last start and that summer was one of the worst of my life.

After contemplating my entire life that summer, I moved back to my hometown to try and redeem myself in baseball. I moved in with my parents and took a job working at my high school and an aide and baseball coach and spent my off-time getting myself in the best shape of my life to try and give things one more chance. I was up to around 190 pounds and was sitting 90-92 off of the mound. After going to some tryouts, I had some small Indy ball offers but was also looking at having a chance of taking the head coaching position at my school so I decided at the time to turn them down.

Long story short, after turning them down my life went on a downhill spiral when my parents got a divorce and I found myself back to not making the best choices in life. I was drinking heavily and had a very bad outlook on life in general. I wound up quitting my job at the school and moved to Nashville to play in a band with a friend of mine from high school. After trying my hand at that and moving back to my hometown I met my now fiancée in the process. She really helped me to get myself back on track and where I am right now. I had moved back to Springfield to be closer to her and this fall, my roommate from college talked to into playing in a men’s baseball league a former pro had put together every fall here. I hadn’t touched a weight or a ball in a year and a half but thought it might be fun to give it a shot. I started slowly working myself back into the gym and found myself throwing very well in this league this fall. I was still running in up into the upper 80s and touching 90 this fall and after a lot of prayer I am currently back into the routine of lifting hard and seeing where I can get my body. I am the definition of a late bloomer as I was still growing my senior year of college. I am currently 6’ 3” 185 pounds and the weight and strength has been coming on easier than ever before. I’m still relatively young at 26 years old, so over the next 6 months I’m going to work hard to see where I can get my body and if baseball isn’t where I’m at then I’ll be in very good shape for my wedding in July. I just want to play the game because of my love for the game and to use it as a platform to tell people about Jesus as opposed to using it for my own glory like I did in the past.

I figured I would keep a log on here, mainly just for my own personal accountability but if anyone has any questions or advice I would love to hear from you as well!

God Bless!

2 Likes

Had a good lift tonight. Really starting to feel some strength coming back and feeling like it’s a little bit easier than before to get some strength and size put on.

Started off with typical foam rolling and stretching and then ran 3 minutes on the treadmill followed by some interval sprints to get some blood flowing.

Went through entire J-Band warm up as I have started doing them everyday.

Trap Bar Deadlift - 8,8,5,5,5,3,3,3
Single Leg RDLs - 4x8 each leg
Squat - 4x5
Kettle Bell swings - 4x8
Overhead Med Ball Slams - 3x10
Rotational Med Ball Slams 3x8 each way

1 Like