The life of a redshirt

Help us out man, what exactly is it like?
Will you get to throw competitively at all?
What does it do to your future prospects?
How has it effected your morale? Do your coaches try to help?
Were you redshirted for injury or competitive reasons?
Would you do the same path again?
How about summer ball, do they allow you to play there?
How do your team mates treat you?[/quote]

JD, as usual, has taken another shot at me. Anyways, the answers are:

In the fall I pitched in intrasquad but in the spring no

Future prospects?

On the one hand I’m down because I don’t get to play this year but on the other I know I will be better for next year. The coaches help if they have time but their main priority is the current players.

Competitive reasons

I’d do a few things differently. I originally went to a D3 school and I wouldn’t do that again if I had the chance.

You can play amateur summer baseball as long as you have college eligibility so… yes

Teammates treat me as always

Anything else?

(JD, I’m on dial-up now since I’m back home for the summer. I feel your pain.)

Ahh Spencer! I just knew you’d come through to help out the forums…
Still just can’t stay out of the way of being a great guy :smiley:
Helping guys look at where you’ve been. We all know it’s driving you a little nuts and I can sure speak for the admins and Steven and say we’re pullin for ya as much as the good thoughts will carry!!!
I just know you’ll be back in the saddle again next year.
So are you hookin up with a legion team?
Dial up ain’t soo bad if you stay away from the vids…

Seriously man…thanks

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Ahh Spencer! I just knew you’d come through to help out the forums…
Still just can’t stay out of the way of being a great guy :smiley:
Helping guys look at where you’ve been. We all know it’s driving you a little nuts and I can sure speak for the admins and Steven and say we’re pullin for ya as much as the good thoughts will carry!!!
I just know you’ll be back in the saddle again next year.
So are you hookin up with a legion team?
Dial up ain’t soo bad if you stay away from the vids…

Seriously man…thanks[/quote]

I’m playing for a team that is part of the NBC (National Baseball Congress) this summer (in SoCal :slight_smile: )

What did you mean from

[quote]What does it do to your future prospects?
[/quote] ???

Well, I think i meant it in the way that your coach looks at you and whether it has allowed to through conditioning and rest to get more life/vitality/longevity out of your arm. I’ve heard Redshirting has kicked up velo because of desire and additional ability for power development…also you’ve had some time to step back (Whether you wanted to or not) and reassess where the game fits with your life.
I really am curious as to how it effected you…It could sure help some others who may later face this hurdle.
Have you been able to work with anyone to further develop or is it just a lonely road and you have to reach deep for the motivation and confidence to stay in the mix? If it’s the later…where have you found the strength?

SOCal??!!!
With those "God-like looks??!!!
They’ll scoop you up to be a movie extra or something :shock:

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Well, I think i meant it in the way that your coach looks at you and whether it has allowed to through conditioning and rest to get more life/vitality/longevity out of your arm. I’ve heard Redshirting has kicked up velo because of desire and additional ability for power development…also you’ve had some time to step back (Whether you wanted to or not) and reassess where the game fits with your life.
I really am curious as to how it effected you…It could sure help some others who may later face this hurdle.
Have you been able to work with anyone to further develop or is it just a lonely road and you have to reach deep for the motivation and confidence to stay in the mix? If it’s the latter…where have you found the strength?[/quote]

For the most part, I have worked with myself. Sometimes I throw with other redshirts when the team is away at games but I havent found anyone willing to do the volume of work that I do. I’d say what keeps me going is seeing that I make improvements on things and my desire to use those against live batters. I can’t wait!

There is another redshirt who was initially drafted by the Rangers (he said but I never looked it up) and he always seemed a little depressed but we’ve been throwing more towards the end of the semester and he seemed better.

It is a lonely road but I’ve found ways to cope. For example, instead of running/doing sprints, I would play pick-up basketball at the recreation center (there is some good competition there).
Now I know that some would say there is a chance I could get injured but then I wouldn’t be able to work on my competitive spirit or play with other people would I?

If you don’t use it, you lose it.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]SOCal??!!!
With those "God-like looks??!!!
They’ll scoop you up to be a movie extra or something :shock:[/quote]

San Diego, not LA but I do think we travel to LA to play. I’m not sure though. I scoff at the thought of being an extra. I’ll be the main character.

So…they make movies about three-eyed cross dressers? (Dude…it was a softball I just had to take it downtown :smiley: )

So…they make movies about three-eyed cross dressers? (Dude…it was a softball I just had to take it downtown :smiley: )[/quote]

Yeah, I’m a mutant hunter in this movie and this particular mutant you’ve mentioned is terrorizing the good citizens of Florida. You’ll have me to thank. :wink:

Good one… :roll:
Did you stay up all night workin on that or did it just come to you in a moment of inspiration?

You are soooo lucky I haven’t figured out how to post pictures like Coach Baker does…my technopeasentry has kept you from severe diss-itis and perhaps the heartbreak of psorisis :nod:

jk
Spence before this very useful thread descends into mayhem…I really just want to thank you, you’ve been a real help and wealth of info to the guys coming after you. I mean that…I have fun goofin with you cause…well it is so easy (And you get it)but you really are a great benefit to the forums and I for one am glad you’re here!!

I miss the good ole’ days with Wales and Spencer. These guys were classic.

Are you still lurking on here Spence?? Wales??

Wales was posting recently in the Clips forum…Spencer??? Alas last time I heard from our friend…he had succumbed to the wiles of a Daughter of Eve…beguiling and occupying his time with…china patterns…and watching cooking shows… :cry: …it was a valient fight and well carried but I’m afraid certain elements of our friends reproductia have been placed in the ol lockbox and he’s mear inches away from car pools and cleanin his push mower for some manliness…tragic but predictable.

Somebody ought to make a ‘pining for the days of old’ thread so all you geezers can whine away without getting too far off topic. :wink:

See…your brain didn’t go too mushy :smiley:

I guess “the boss” gave you some time off for good behavior right? :wink:
Well thanks for stopping in and insulting a brother or two…Gives it that homey feel.
As a certified geezer (You gotta pass a test and a physical) I can certainly ruminate on things gone by…just about anywhere…straying off totally different subjects to interject my fond distant memories that likely happened on some “Movie of the Week” and not my life…but hey if I don’t know the difference…
who the heck are you anyway??? :shock:

Who the heck am I?

Come on Spence, work for it…a take off on my old guy senility…get it??
Like how I wander around the mall with drool running down my chin…

You’re doing all the work for me ol’ pal.

So Cool!!! 8)

Man I just found this, this is some prime back and forth. We had a good run together.

I gotta admit I miss Hammer and Spence.

Careful…Spence will come back and dog ya for being a misty-eyed old man :wink:

That kid was good people…Him and his "God-like looks… :lol: