The Key to the 90mph Delivery

No matter what you hear from all of these pitching coaches out there remember that there is always one thing that you can do to improve your velocity. That is get a stronger core and learn to use more of your legs in your delivery. When you get a chance read the book by Tom Seaver on his college years and how he was able to add velocity to his fastball by strengthening his core. Every motion that requires a baseball player to move on the field will require your core and having a strong one can help you throw harder. As for using your legs, as a pitcher you should be able to feel if you are really driving with your legs or not. Driving with your legs helps you to maintain that energy in your delivery and generate that 90mph fastball. Check out The Art of Pitching
http://aworldofbaseball.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Art%20of%20Pitching
on my blog.

You don’t throw 90mph with your arm, you get to 90+ with your legs and core; nicely said tyler2244. Your arm acts as a whip, its the body that generates the power and torque in a straight line to the plate. I’m 5’11" 170 pounds and I’ve touched 96mph, its about the the body.

damn touchin the flame bruh

please advise me, my topic is mechanic hitch

could you explain the timing of hip rotation? how do you keep your hips closed at foot plant… then forcefully rotate torso?

Drewski,

Hey friend you talking to me or tyler2244? If so you could check out my videos on here.

GAsbury32

just saw your vids on youtube gasbury32. Whatsup little oswalt! lol you guys look exactly the same. Only thing I noticed was you slow down on your offspeed, i do the same thing but luckily my changeup is so good everyone in the park knows what im throwing but the batter still cant hit it! i range from 86-88mph and my changeup is 72-74mph… its good lol now im just working on a slider so i have something hard breaking the other way.

btw dreskie its a modern myth that your hips open when your front foot turns and points at the target. even if your foot is open and facing the target, your hips can stay closed. the only thing that opens your hips is OPENING YOUR HIPS. Also hip explosion will be optimal if you plant the front foot on that imaginary straight line toward the target. you leak power when the front foot plants open relative to that straight line and you lose power when its too closed. but keeping it closed will help your offspeed.

gatorjoe12,

Appreciate the comment but Im far from an Oswalt. That comment might be appropriate after some winning seasons in the the league but for now Im just me. And yeah, I do slow down on the offspeed pitchers and I need to stop, that’s what Im being intentional about right now. 86-88 is good man, what grade in school are you? I topped at 85 out of high school haha. If you ask me, the changeup, is the best pitch in baseball if perfected.

im a redshirt sophomore this year. yeah the changeup is a great pitch, especially at d1 level. My thing as a hard throwing lefty that i need to work on is developing a slider. Im good at getting hitters to two strikes with my fastball, and they end up hitting my slow offspeed. Coaches want me to be able to work a hard slider in and still have a get me over curve.

Ever hear of “pitching backwards”? You need to get out of that rut that too many pitchers find themselves in—they start off with the fast ball, and then when they come in there with an offspeed pitch the batters are all set for it. Try starting the batter off with a breaking pitch or two—then, when you get them 0-and-2, you can come in there with a fast ball which, by the way, will look twice as fast in that spot, and you can just blow it by them. I knew a major league pitcher who used to do that all the time; his so-called fast ball, which usually topped out at 86 MPH, would look as if it were coming in there at 106 MPH, and the batter looked awfully foolish.
A word about the slider—don’t expect to get that one overnight. I learned the pitch when I was sixteen, and I got the hang of it in about ten minutes, but I recognized that this is a pitch that takes time and work. So I worked on it for eight or nine months, and in late July I found that I was comfortable enough with it to try it out in a game. I did—an emergency relief appearance—and I struck out the two batters I faced, and that slider became my strikeout pitch. Just remember—you throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist—don’t snap it. It’s an easier wrist action, and if you remember to keep your elbow at the level of your shoulder you’ll avoid a lot of arm problems.
A word for all of you who are reading this—the key to getting the power behind your pitches is to get your whole body into the action, using your legs, your hips and your torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion and allowing your arm and shoulder to go along for the ride. This is a secret I learned long ago. This takes a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder and makes for a smoother delivery and follow-through. 8)