The Development Advice I Never Got

This is for all you dads and coaches that have kids younger than 16 years old.

From the time they pick up a baseball, through high school the priority needs to be throwing the ball as hard as you can, as healthy as you can. Bottom line.

I started working with my brother when he was 8 years old. The focus was throwing hard. When he was 9 & 10 we started working on being more efficient mechanically. An important note here: Almost no one understands efficient mechanics. There’s about 10 pitching guru’s I trust and use to my benefit. Follow their work and implement it, into your coaching.

I made the mistake of working on location on and off when he was 11 & 12. With a body that is sometimes growing 6 inches a year and gaining 15 pounds, it’s hard to even maintain a pattern month to month. The focus should’ve remained throwing hard. You’ll find yourself working backwards when he’s trying to hit spots and throwing slower to do it.

He entered high school this year, made JV. If you throw the ball hard you can succeed at the high school level. Add a decent breaking ball and you can dominate. I’m not trying to lower the standard of what your players need to do, but I’m telling you from experience, velocity rules all. Do it in a healthy way and your players can have a lot of fun playing baseball. Also college recruiters are looking for velocity, simple as that.

I agree 100%.
When my son started playing I was focused on immediate success and had no idea how the body learns and forms movement patterns.
He didnt start pitching until he was 14. The focus was throw strikes and get outs. Trying to correct it now and develop velocity. Harder at an older age.

If I could do it all over again, I would say let the kid play the field and hit. Learn to love the game. Let them learn baseball instincts. Watch how other kids are successful in getting outs.

Find passion in throwing hard, throwing far. Then get them on the mound at an older age like 14.