The Cross-seamer

I heard Roger Clemens talking about this pitch on the “My Wish” thing on Sportscenter. How exactly is this gripped, and what movement does the pitch have?

I saw that too. It was just a 4-Seam FB, but he was talking about putting pressure on it or something, hard to tell because of camera angles. The “lazy glove” thing he was talking about was kinda confusing too.

Confusing? Perhaps you just misinterperated his way of presenting it. When you pitch, does your glove hand just flop around? No. You need to control it, and use it to tuck in and help get good shoulder rotation, and point at the target ect… He just used a different way to approach teaching it.

a cross seam fastball is a 2 seamer…instead of going with the seams you go across the seams.

Nope, a cross seam fastball is a 4 seam fastball, because your fingers lay aCROSS multiple seams. With a 2 seam fastball your fingers are going with the seams, not against them.

Well whatever it is its a fastball and if thrown right you can get some good movement. Ive seen someone use that as their sinker so whatever i suppose.

I found out that the cross-seam is actually a two-seamed grip. If you grip the ball like a regular 2 seam and rotate 180 degrees forward your finger run across 2 seams. So its a 2-seamer because when the ball is in the air only 2 seams are coming from over the top. Thanks everyone for the help.

Nope, a cross seam fastball is a 4 seam fastball, because your fingers lay aCROSS multiple seams. With a 2 seam fastball your fingers are going with the seams, not against them.[/quote]

Actually…like oklahomahalefty said…it when you take a 2 seam fastball and turn it 180 degree’s so you fingers lay crossing over the seams. sorry if i misdirected you with my previous instructions… i believe i may have lead you to think what i was getting at was something totally different…

Hmm, well I apologize I was put under the wrong impression.

The ball rotates the same whether you use the regular 2 seam grip or turn it 180 degrees, like oklahomalefty said. Just like some people grip a cutter on the right seam of where you’d hold a 2 seam, as oppsed to gripping the right side of the U.

Confusing? Perhaps you just misinterperated his way of presenting it. When you pitch, does your glove hand just flop around? No. You need to control it, and use it to tuck in and help get good shoulder rotation, and point at the target ect… He just used a different way to approach teaching it.[/quote]

No. Because of what ESPN showed, it made it impossible to see exactly what he meant. I know the kid’s glove flopping to the side, but he didn’t mention pulling it into the chest or holding it over the front knee. After he mentioned the flopping glove, ESPN cut to a scene of the kid throwing. All they showed that had really changed was he was finishing with the glove palm down next to his chest, a way I’ve never seen anyone teach. Because the clip was so short and I can’t watch it in slow motion or frame by frame, it’s hard to see whether or not he was pulling it in or holding it over the front foot.