The Comeback workout

Hey,

I’ve recently had the urge to make a pitching comeback and try and walk onto my University team (up in Canada), now I haven’t pitched in a game of any sorts in 4 years, but 4 years ago I had pretty good stuff with 2 pitches (fastball and change), was part of the city and provincial All-star teams etc. Anyways back in the day I relied on pure athleticism and skill, but I know now that in order to even have a chance at making the roster I’ll need to work out.

I’ve read through some of the threads here and obtained a little understanding of the workout sessions that are beneficial for pitchers but I was wondering if someone could reccomend a 3-4 month program? I’ve been jogging for 6 months now, and been throwing at a barn (lol yes a barn with a strikezone painted on it) 60 pitches a day, every day (which now I think might not be a good idea but so far I’ve had no discomfort, just a bit of soreness, but it’s that kind of good pain).

Thanks in advance

Well, a lot of my recommendation is dependent on what type of shape you are in at at the moment. It would be ineffective to give an advanced style training regimen to someone who is relatively new to strength training (and vice versa).

I’ll throw out a couple options and you can see where you fall (and to anyone else out there looking for a training program). There are many ways to classify strength, but for the sake of simplicity we’ll narrow it down. If you can’t benchpress 75% of your bodyweight, deadlift your bodyweight, and squat your bodyweight, then you are a beginner in the world of strength training. In this case, you really don’t need fancy routines and a room filled with machines, you can use bodyweight and still see amazing gains. After you build up a good foundation, or base, of fitness and strength then you can move on to a more agressive program. This could take months or weeks, based on how dedicated you remain to the program and how your body reacts to the new stimulus.

Here is a basic strength circuit designed for a beginner:
Pushups - 20 reps
Bodyweight Squats - 25 reps
Pike Press - 10 reps
Body Rows - 10 reps
Lunges - 10 reps per leg
There is no rest between exercises and only a short rest period after completing the entire circuit.
**Aim to complete at least 3 trips through the circuit, building up as you get stronger. You can substitute in different movements based on the equipment you have (ie. shoulder press with db’s instead of pike presses) and you can graduate to more difficult movements (body rows to pullups).

A week on this training plan would look something like this:
Day One- Strength Circuit
Day Two - Core + Conditioning
Day Three - Strength Circuit
Day Four - Core + Conditioning
Day Five - Strength Circuit
Day Six - Rest Day or Conditioning + Core (Base on body’s response)
Day Seven - Rest Day

Conditioning can be anything you want - riding a bike, running, sprinting, jumping rope - as long as you break a sweat and increase your overall conditioning. The more you enjoy the activity the more likely you will stick to it (I jump rope and hit the heavy bag, for example). The core workout has the same principles as the strength workouts. You arrange a circuit that targets different areas of the core. An example of this would be: supermans, bicycles (or chinnies), russian twists (with or without weight), and crunches. There are tons of core exercises, so you can arrange them however you like.

If you fall into the non-beginner catagory, then I would look toward purchasing a strength program from an expert in the field. The two I recommend most highly would be Ross Enamait (the beginner program listed above draws heavily from the concepts in his book, Never Gymless, which is awesome) and Joe DeFranco. Ross has two books available, one for training with the use of weights, called Infinite Intensity, and another focusing on bodyweight and band exercises, Never Gymless. Both can be purchased from his website: www.rosstraining.com. DeFranco is another no-nonsense trainer that caters to elite athletes. He has a program called Super Strength that he sells on his site (haven’t purchased it, but have heard many good things). Joe’s site is here: www.defrancostraining.com. There are many free articles available on both sites. Note: Unless you have access to a fully decked out gym, some of DeFranco’s stuff might be impractical. Infinite Intensity is mainly dumbbells, along with improvised items like sandbags. If you are doing your training in a barn, Infinite Intensity or Never Gymless would be a better option.

Gimmicks and over-the-top marketing plague the baseball strength scene. People try to say that they can put 10 mph on your fastball in “just minutes a day.” I have gotten very sick of this BS. If you are truly serious about making a comeback, it is going to be lots of hard work - in the gym and on the baseball field.

Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask.