The changes are making a difference guys!

here is Nicolas doing some “couch throwing” after working on his mechanics today. he learned to “scap load”, keep more shoulder/hip separation, release out front instead of high above his head, break his hands later and be more fluid in general. whew! too many changes in a short time, but he really works hard to be his best.

i can’t thank you guys enough. he learned many of these things from all of your suggestions. the final icing on his cake happened tonight as we watched the end of the yankees vs rays game. i had him watch the pitcher’s late hand break and how fast his arm moved at the last minute. Nic tried to mimic those moves and i knew it looked different enough to record and look at.

he matched his own speed record by throwing at 48mph consistently (instead of just once) and broke his speed record by throwing 49mph. yep, he’s happy.

Wow…doesn’t even look like the same kid! :shock:

Nice job. It’s nice when it happens quickly. Just keep working at it, and realize there will be set backs. Bringing this to the field is where the “rubber meets the road”.

Another tip…

When using the radar gun try to stay directly behind or in front of the thrown ball. If you are on the side the readings aren’t as accurate. Also invest in a REAL radar gun (Stalker or Juggs).

The Bushnell that you’re using (even though it’s fun) is slightly less than useless.

Good job so far!
8)

[quote=“101mph”]

Wow…doesn’t even look like the same kid! :shock:

Nice job. It’s nice when it happens quickly. [/quote]

He looks really good for 11. Keep it up. He blessed to have parents who work with him.

Very nice. Excellent improvement.

i owe you guys a tremendous dept for the help you gave us for free. my only reward for you guys is to have you watch the video and see the wonderful changes that you have been responsible for. great job guys. of course it helps when you have a good student who works very hard to do exactly what you asked.

the final key for Nicolas was making the decision that he wanted better mechanics even if his accuracy suffered this season. after that decision he just relaxed and made the changes with no stress. it’s wild how your mind can help or hurt you.

today we will just relax and throw at the target and see where his accuracy is. he has 2 games tomorrow and he will have to pitch at least a little in one game, but i assured him that we will be pulling any pitcher after 35-40 pitches so how bad could it get? he walks a few, maybe strikes out a few? i told him not to worry about the outcome, only make good mechanical throws and lets see what happens.

thanks again guys.

P.S. the bushnell radar gun, while “slightly less than useless” has been a great help because it’s at least consistently the same kind of wrong. the thing it helped us do is show Nicolas what things he does that improves velocity. he threw 4 balls at 48mph, then in an attempt to get more speed he went back to an older set of mechanics and the speed went to 39mph. after he changed to the new mechanics again he threw at 49mph. the radar gun was only $89 but was worth it to see his mechanics change that quickly.

Totally agree. Very nice improvements! The great thing about working with young kids is that they adapt so easily. Changes come quick with just a little practice and effort. As we get older, it’s tougher. In addition to the arm action, he braces up very well.

Keep up the good work!

he does look a lot better, but make sure he isn’t opening up too early. try and keep the front shoulder closed as long as he can. This will help to put less stress on the arm.

101mph pointed out something that is very important in the use of radar, a remark which seemed to get lost in the ensuing discusssion.

No radar gun, Bushnell, Stalker, or JUGS will measure true velocity when used at a large angle relative to the line of flight. All radar measurements are highly angle dependent–it’s called the cosine effect.

Check out the graph at the bottom of the page (below). Measured at a 30 degree angle, which is approximately what the OP’s video looks like, the cosine effect will produce a measurement about 10% lower than the true value. As the angle increases, the rate of increase in error is even greater. For example, measuring from a 35 degree angle gives you a 15% error.

http://www.copradar.com/preview/chapt4/ch4d1.html

that’s good news. it means he was actually throwing faster than the radar gun showed. the angle probably was 30 degrees or so. there was no room to stand behind him with the wall in back of him, and no one wants to sit in front of him when he throws. lol.

thanks for the radar info.

Nicolas pitched a couple of innings today and it was interesting.

the first inning he threw 50mph (his new record) consistently and struck out all 3 batters. wow, we were excited.

the next inning he threw a couple of wild ones and resorted to his old T-rex pitching mechanics and walked the next 3 guys and the head coach pulled him. he put in the other kid with the same bad T-rex mechanics and he managed to finish it up ok at 43-44mph. the other kid had a great day throwing over 60% strikes with those mechanics. i have to say from my personal experience that it is pretty easy to throw strikes with those mechanics, but those mechanics have no future.

it’s so frustrating for my son to pitch so well and be “the man” for 15 minutes, then be pulled a few minutes later. but he understands the process and still wants to continue with the new mechanics because he had a taste of the higher speed and accuracy the new mechanics can bring.

thanks for the encouragement and tips guys.

Good to see that there is such a good improvement already.

Remeber that the easy decision isn’t the best in the long run and for somebody to really learn consistant new mechanics requires hundreds of repetitions. So as the parent you’re responsible of keeping it cool even if the results are inconsistent from time to time and you must remind your kid AND yourself that you’re doing the right thing.

Keep up the good job.