The best

just watch it, its pretty much a handbook for success.

I think I’ve posted this like 3 or 4 times…I never get tired of watching it.

i love watching it, helps me alot.

I’ve tried a couple of times to do an essay about Greg.
The scope of how he approached the game should be studied and acted upon by pitchers. I don’t necessarily want folks to copy mechs (Though if you listen to Greg on the vid, he speaks of a confidence that his mechs were as good as they could be) but the mans approach to the game did things that are beyond what most people think possible…Start with being completely uninjured in his arm/shoulder for better than a 20 year career…just how unreal is that??? only missing I think a total of 2 starts in his career due to a back tweak…he also in an environment where a pitcher would not make the bigs who didn’t light up the gun…he “cruised” in the 80’s and showed that you don’t “have” to be 6’3" or better to dominate in the game…he gave/gives hope to the incredably average Joe that with dedicated belief and hard work, the game is available to all. I love and respect every single thing this guy did, he is class.
He is currently a special assitant to Jim Hendry the GM of the Cubs…he goes to all of the farm clubs and talks with and teaches all the young pitchers…recently I read an interview with a young prospect who was watching a game with him and Greg commented that the next pitch was going to miss up and in (The pitch sure enough was where he said it would be)…the kid was just in awe…me too…as a coach, I could sometimes, by watching body language and knowing the hitter and pitcher, be able to tell a fielder the next ball was coming to them (And it almost always did), so to an extreme lesser extent I understand where that comes from…but think on just that for a minute…Maddux knew…likely hadn’t seen the guy pitching pitch…but was able to assess a huge multitude of variables to come to a conclusion…basically at a glance…unreal baseball knowledge and instincts. :shock:

yea, i pretty much understand that im not going to be a nolan ryan, but why not be a greg maddux? i throw a sinker which my teamate who was batting asked if i was throwing a screwball :smiley: , i just want to get to the mid 80s so i can get to college and then try to use the sinker like maddux did and then hopefully on to the bigs.

Check out my thread on the General Forum about how the Cubs are changing their vision and approach to guys like you.

Good afternoon, jd.
When I knew that I would never be a rip-roarin’ fireballer like Feller, Raschi, Gibson, Sabathia, Verlander, blah blah blah, I decided to go in the other direction and become a snake-jazzer. And I became a good one. I can see where Greg Maddux was coming from, because I had a pitching coach who was coming from the same place, years before. :slight_smile:

One quality pitch at a time Zita…20 years and no injury later I consider him the finest example of what a guy ought to do to do it.
:wink:

It is interesting to me that you point to the big 3 so often…because they weren’t “big”…they were journeymen…easy to picture their missus packing them a bag lunch…and them saving the bag and bringing it home so it could be re-used…
Simple thinking, simple approach…get ready, work hard, study the oppo…execute the pitch. I laugh when folks want to make it all an algebraic formuli. or tie it all to a fb.

Hi, jd.
Yes, I refer to the “Big Three” Yankees rotation a lot, because I knew their pitching very well, and let me tell you, they were more than just “journeymen”. They were very good pitchers, each with a specialty unique to him. Of course, they were probably well before your time, so I wouldn’t expect you to know all the details, but you’re forgiven. :slight_smile:
And you’re absolutely right about some of these people who tie everything to a fast ball. As I’ve mentioned, Lopat didn’t have a fast ball to speak of—but he threw everything else, including (I believe) the kitchen sink. A lot of people weren’t aware of this, but Allie Reynolds had a fast ball that was often clocked at better than 100 miles an hour—who knows how long he could have gone on pitching if not for the back injury he sustained in that bus crash? And Raschi—he didn’t have what we called “Aunt Susie” in those days (curve ball to you), but he didn’t need it. He had an overpowering fast ball, an even deadlier slider (his “out” pitch), and a very good changeup, and he won 21 games three years running during the Yanks’ incredible five-championship streak with just those three pitches. If not for his knees—
Reynolds threw a pair of no-hitters in 1951. The other two did not. But all three of them won far more than their share of games, and I had the greatest time watching them pitch. By the way—between Lopat and Raschi they compiled a lifetime 62-21 against the Indians, nothing to sneeze at. 8) :baseballpitcher:
Happy Thanksgiving.

Don’t get defensive here Zita…by jouneymen I meant that they weren’t the “Whitey Fords” or The Fellers, they were Yankees so they were obviously outstanding, just like many of the Yanks “no name” pitchers, they were very good pitchers, who came to work every day and applied their trade…The Yanks have won many WS’s titles but have had few of the Fords, Guidrys, Hunters…they are the Bombers…beat your brains out til it hurts…Oh they will buy them a superstar here and there but the guys they grow are just as the 3…workman like professionals…even Mariano…no flash…just bringing it.
I wouldn’t tread on their good memory…

No offense taken, jd. :slight_smile: