The Best Arm Care Guide

I really believe taking care of your arm before and after you throw is nearly half the battle in avoiding injury. Obviously, having a clean arm action will eliminate a lot of problems, but if you don’t prep and recover you will still run into injuries. There are also ways to actually improve your arm action in “arm care activities”. This is a guide of what I believe players and coaches that work with kids under 16 should follow:

1. Resistance tubing
  2. Scap holds/ waiter walks (shoulder stability)
  3. Forearm stability with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kVOwyokyNY /or wrist weight exercises
  4. Rice bucket (finger and forearm strengthening)
  5. 2 lb mini med ball throws (reverse & pivot pickoff)
  6. Some kind of rhythmic stabilization (mini med ball ball throws vs. rebounder, kneeling stabilizations or the famous “shoulder tube”)
  7. Foam roll with lacrosse ball (roll the lax ball over arm, find tender spots, increase pressure to release built up knots)

Arm care doesn’t stop just at the arm either. Mobility and flexibility of the hips and thoratic extension of the back, is just as important. The hip flexors, internal and external rotators, hamstrings and groin all need active and static care.

Mobilty and flexibility is a part of the process that is usually ignored. In HS and even college there is little or no attention paid to this part of performance.
I would recommend getting a movement screen by a qualified physical therapist before starting a training program. Existing imbalances can have a big impact on the ability to learn new movement patters.
I agree with the balance of the rest of what you’re saying though. Love the wrist weights.

fearsomefour has hit upon one of the greatest shortcomings in high school and definitely in many college programs that I’ve seen, over the last 18 years.

With mobility comes so much added worth and quality to a pitcher’s presence - but this comes at a very steep price. That price is dedication to a quality training program, by quality people. That price also has a singularity to it - that can be a very lonely road to travel.

With flexibility comes a quality of life during and after baseball. Flexibility compliments mobility and Vice-a-versa.

One should understand though, mobility and flexibility are the results/product of solid and competent coaching coupled with individual dedication covering the entire spectrum of the craft.

This is a great post. Dead on. The only other thing you could possibly add is using something like the MarcPro ($$$) or other EMS type device. But, you nailed it–excellent advice.

Have not used the MarcPro but have used other similar devices.
These can have a great benefit. My son used a medical quality device that had a sleeve that fit over the elbow. He used it to recover very quickly from a slight elbow issue.

Interesting studies re use of MarcPro type devices even during games and enhanced recovery/maintenance of velocity: