The Ball is an Egg!

I know people who think the harder you grip a ball the harder you will throw it. That is not true. Think of it this way, “The ball is an Egg, treat it like one.” -Crash Davis (Bull Durham). I find that the looser I grip a ball the more movement I get and the faster it goes (from what I feel). I’m sure most of you know this. This is for the people that don’t. This is “Kaz’s word for the wise”. Have a good weekend. :smiley:

idk but…
i read in espn mag that zumaya busted a tendon or something in his middle finger from gripping the ball so hard

Someone that throws 90mph has to withstand about 2450 lbs of force on their arm.

[quote=“kelvinp”]idk but…
i read in espn mag that zumaya busted a tendon or something in his middle finger from gripping the ball so hard[/quote]

Ya, he ruptured his a tendon on his right middle finger and missed 3 months. It was from the grip of his curveball I believe. He also did something to his wrist/forearm playing guitar hero.

didnt know he threw a curve
i thought just a slide piece and a change(along with a fastball of course)

Well he has a slider and a curveball. His curveball is a very nasty pitch.

[quote=“kelvinp”]didnt know he threw a curve
i thought just a slide piece and a change(along with a fastball of course)[/quote]thats because you play too many videogames and don’t watch enough baseball

yeah, ive been told that before and it seems to work really well.

you dont see him pitch that much
injuries

I see him pitch cause I’m a tigers fan from michigan, so the FSN channel is FSN Detroit. And I’ve been to many Tigers games.

Very true for the fastball. You really want to grip it loose and out in the fingertips. But with off-speed stuff, you’ll want to grip is firmer and, depending on the pitch, deeper in the hand. But good point for the FB, kaz!

On one occasion I was telling someone how to throw a palm ball, and I said something like "grip it way back in the palm of your hand—and grip it firmly but FOR PETE’S SAKE DON’T TRY TO SQUEEZE THE JUICE OUT OF THE BALL! I’ve seen too many pitchers try to do that, and not only does the ball squirt out of your hand and drop to the ground in front of you with a plop, but also you risk injury. A firm grip is all right, but even better is loosen up on it a little—maybe leave a bit of space between your hand and the ball; that will do just fine. You still have to throw the thing with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as you would a fast ball. :slight_smile: 8)

To add on to this. When a MLB pitcher throws a ball, his shoulders rotate at 7,000 degrees a second. To put that in perspective, if the body stays accelerated at that speed for more then 60 seconds he will die.

I grip my two seam fastball pretty tightly, thinking the added friction might give it a little more sink. I get pretty good movement, but should I hold it lighter?

yeah you should. look at how much movement Lincecum gets on his, thats because he has a super loose grip like on all his pitches

I’ll try it tomorrow morning when I go to work on my splitter. I also don’t get any left to right movement on my 2S (I’m RH). Do you think I would get some if I held it lighter? Right now I get a nice 12-6 dip, but I could use more break.

If you are a RHP, try putting pressure on your index finger for the 2SFB. If that doesn’t work. slide your thumb slightly up the side of the ball.

when joel zumaya grips his fastball he doesnt put his thumb on the ball much

its curled over with the other fingers

I don’t see how you get any control like that.

[/img]