THE average Velocity for 16 year old is?

I’m 16 the highest i have been clock at is 84. my average is 80-82. Is this good cause i’m only 5"9" 155. Is this good speed?

I’m 15 and throw mid/high 60s (I match your height and weight dead-on too), so you’re in the money. Just remember speed isn’t everything

Yes thats good speed. Jeremy Bonderman at 16 threw high 80’s - just a little fun fact and you can compare your self to a MLB player. lol

That is well above average. I am 16 and top out at 85 on a good day and consistently throw 81-83. Were pretty much the same size to i am 5’8" 143

boohoo. I’d be extremely happy to be throwing over 80 as you guys are doing :frowning:

I’m also quite lanky (i think I’m the skinniest guy on my team), and i’ve been working out this summer. Hopefully I can gain substantially on my velocity in time for our fall workouts…If I can hit the low 80s it would be EXTREMELY worth it.

Anyways, I’m 16, 5’9’’, and 146 lb.
I sit at 70 mph, give or take a little, and hit 75 on good days :x

There was a kid in the Big League World Series from S. Carolina last night probably 18 years old. He was topping out at 82 on his heater, but his changeup came in at 62!!! 20mph slower…and absolutely unhittable.

Being the big dog don’t mean you have to have the biggest teeth…if you know exactly where to bite…

[quote=“hoseman18”]
Being the big dog don’t mean you have to have the biggest teeth…if you know exactly where to bite…[/quote]

Kinda like maddux.

Do you get hitters out? Does your body hurt afterwards?

That`s all that matters.

If you work hard that is all you can do and the rest will come.

When I was 16 I was a catcher and never pitched in my life. Now I pitch in college. My senior year was my first year throwing and I hit 78. Now I hit 85. Alot has to do with how your body is growing. As you grow you will pick up the MPH. But don`t worry about it.

Keep in mind this…

There are some pitchers in the BIGS who throw just as hard as you. Yet you still have time to improve. Keep working hard.

Good Luck

[quote=“hoseman18”]There was a kid in the Big League World Series from S. Carolina last night probably 18 years old. He was topping out at 82 on his heater, but his changeup came in at 62!!! 20mph slower…and absolutely unhittable.

Being the big dog don’t mean you have to have the biggest teeth…if you know exactly where to bite…[/quote]

Not to nitpick, but I was watching as well and he actually hit 84-85 quite a few times. What actually amazed me was that the starting pitcher for the Dominican team was only throwing 77-79 and topping out at 80 MPH, but he was going to play baseball at Bethune-Cookman university, which im pretty sure is a D1 school in Florida

That sounds a little high. im relieved to hear all these pitchers that arent 6 ft tall. im the only one on my team under 5’ 10". (im 5’ 6" and 140) and i throw faster than my best friend and his 6’4" and only throws 72-76:)

[quote=“McCavitt”][quote=“hoseman18”]There was a kid in the Big League World Series from S. Carolina last night probably 18 years old. He was topping out at 82 on his heater, but his changeup came in at 62!!! 20mph slower…and absolutely unhittable.

Not to nitpick, but I was watching as well and he actually hit 84-85 quite a few times. What actually amazed me was that the starting pitcher for the Dominican team was only throwing 77-79 and topping out at 80 MPH, but he was going to play baseball at Bethune-Cookman university, which im pretty sure is a D1 school in Florida[/quote]

LOL i guess I wan’t watching every pitch, huh? Point is that his CU was gnarly!

yea i myself am 16 years old i’ve been clocked at 87 but i was injured due to a car accident… and now am workin on gettin my fast ball back so far my fastes is 83

Average cruising speed for a 5’9" pitcher who just turned 16 would be 80 mph. This data was taken from a relatively elite group so if you looked at a more typical group I’d say that the average max speed for that size and age would be 80 mph and the average cruising speed would be more like 76 or 77 mph.

Using the same data the speed for a 6’2" pitcher just turning 16 would be a little over 83 mph vs 80 mph.

im 6’3’’ 205 and i hit 86 consistently and top out at 88…this was just this past month when I was clocked so pretty recent…im a junior so 16 at kaiser high

Kaiser in Fontana?

nah kaiser in hawaii

Ok so I was a little off haha

ive been told a coach that when a kid is that age his aditute and love for the game is more important that his abilities. His talents will be revealed as he grows and matures

I dont remember posting this

I just got gunned at high 70’s touching low 80’s but most 16 yr olds I know are low 70s. The elite are around 82 topping at 84 or 85. I think if you can consistently hit above 80 as a 16 yr old you are well above average. I just threw with a kid today who was low 80’s as a sophomore and now throws 85-86 topping at 89.