The "Athletic Pitcher Program" by Wolforth

Has anyone out there tried Ron Wolforth’s Athletic pitcher program? He claims avg. gains of 7.4 mph without sacrificing control and has some big name endorsments. It sounds tempting but seems kind of $$$. 265.00 for a book and video…

Based on what I’ve seen from the very brief video clips on Ron’s site, there certainly looks to be some merit to the program. Chicago Cubs pitchers, for example, performed variations of some of the exercises he shows on his site.

Perhaps the most beneficial aspect of his program, though, from the promotional package I recieved in the mail is his use of a Bodyblade-like training tool. He calls it something else, but it’s basically the bodyblade, which is fantastic in the development of the scapula.

Here’s what I’m trying to say. I don’t have the program, nor do I know of anyone who does. $265 is no doubt steep. If you’re super hip to trying the program, then, by all means, pony up. But I suspect if you visit Bodyblade.com, got the 4-foot blade ($99) and manual and video the comes with it, you’d probably reap the same benefit and save a Benjamin or two.

(Let us know how it is, though, if you do decide to get it.)

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Ellis. My training program currently uses techniqes similar his, particularly in the warmup routine that includes core explosive exercises for the fast twitch muscle groups. I plan to introduce a weighted ball throwing routine similiar to the one you use with the 4 and 6 oz training ball. I noticed Wolforth also utilizes the 8, 10, and 12 oz. balls, but these scare me, especially working with 14 to 17 year old athletes. I’ll also add the bodyblade to the to get list, seems like a great training device. Today I gave all my pitchers the address to your web site and encouraged them to take a look. Thanks again for your feedback!!
Shawn Ryan
(looks like I’m leaning toward customizing my own program)

[quote=“Shawn Ryan”]Thanks for the feedback Mr. Ellis. My training program currently uses techniqes similar his, particularly in the warmup routine that includes core explosive exercises for the fast twitch muscle groups. I plan to introduce a weighted ball throwing routine similiar to the one you use with the 4 and 6 oz training ball. I noticed Wolforth also utilizes the 8, 10, and 12 oz. balls, but these scare me, especially working with 14 to 17 year old athletes. I’ll also add the bodyblade to the to get list, seems like a great training device. Today I gave all my pitchers the address to your web site and encouraged them to take a look. Thanks again for your feedback!!
Shawn Ryan
(looks like I’m leaning toward customizing my own program)[/quote]

Shwan, Another important tool is the mini tramp. For training both the accelers as well as and perhaps more importantly the deaccelers.

[quote=“chinmusic”][quote=“Shawn Ryan”]
(looks like I’m leaning toward customizing my own program)[/quote]

Shwan, Another important tool is the mini tramp. For training both the accelers as well as and perhaps more importantly the deaccelers.[/quote]

Agree. Thanks, chinmusic. The mini tramp and a 4-pound mini-medball are great. Of course, as I say this, I realize that by not giving you some sort of direction, exercise protocols, etc., it’s probably no good. But I’ve used – and love – some of the exercises you can do with the mini tramp. (Wal-mart probably has one on the cheap, but PerformBetter.com is where I got mine. Comes with an exercise manual, too, and manual and a little experimenting are what became my routine.)

is there a cheaper version of the bodyblade?

I Currently use a 5 pound mini med ball with my pitchers. We perform a number of different exercises with this. How is the mini-tramp utilized in a pitcher training program? (I currently own one, has been collecting dust in my garage for years and woud like to put it to use)

How exactly is the mini-tramp used with a medi ball? Could a larger tramp be used?

The minitramp is used to throw the ball into and catch on the rebound. It is important to use this to train the deacellers in the posterior shoulder. IF you go to his site I believe there is a small clip that you can see as one of his guys are using it. Its important because along with velocity increases it also becomes harder and more demanding to stop the arm. Most throwing injuriess occur in the deacelling phase of the delivery, the teres minor muscle is not a huge muscle but high forces are put upon it when the arm deacells until it stops. It would be wise to learn exactly how it is utilized as far as mechanics go. I have used a rebounder in the past but not like his clip shows. I have used it in the exact manner of a backwards pitch if you will. Like running a clip of a pitcher in reverse, I hope you understand what I mean.