The 4 seam fastball grips

What are the differences between both of these grips? I’ve seen pro pitchers throw either way, but didn’t know if there were trade-offs between the two.

Those pictures are both left-handed, best similarity I could find in pics.

I’d assume movement. I throw with the seam in the first line of my finger.

No, I’m talking about the side the “horseshoe” is on. The apex in the pictures above is either on the index finger side or middle finger side.

Since the middle finger is normally longer than the index finger, the ball orientation shown in the first picture allows the fingertips of both fingers to be on the seam. With the orientation shown in the second picture, only the fingertip of the index finger is on the seam.

lol you guys dont get what he’s saying, maybe I dont lol

but he’s sayin whats the difference of holding the ball on top of the )( than holding it on the side.

[quote=“jamesh23”]lol you guys dont get what he’s saying, maybe I dont lol

but he’s sayin whats the difference of holding the ball on top of the )( than holding it on the side.[/quote]

Roger answered that.

Also, the orientation of the ball is relative :wink:

Still, is there any advantage to either grip? Why do some pitchers use one way and not the other? Assuming the orientation of the ball is the same, as it basically is in both pictures, how do you know which one to use? Both feel comfortable to me, though.

The first grip puts your fingers even with the seam. The second grip puts your middle finger farther from the seams. Just use what’s comfortable.