That's Baseball People

Baseball People

You’re in the dugout or on the bench, right along the third baseline. Your teammate slug bunts and the third baseman makes a terrific fielding play. After the third baseman recovers and takes his normal position, you take
the top step in your dugout or you get up off your bench – look towards the opposing team’s third baseman and speak out … “nice play third base!”
Without further address, you take your seat and continue watching the game. You know the game is of skill and grace, of heart and determination –regardless who makes the play. That’s what baseball people do !

An umpire makes a call that doesn’t go your way. It may be obvious at the time that the call was wrong – but you swallow your emotions and the game goes on. You recognize that the umpire(s) are the representatives of baseball. The official standard of the game. Respecting their authority and judgment is respecting the game itself. That’s what baseball people do !

Your club wins and you’re lining up to shake hands with the opposing team. As you pass by a player or players that made some great plays at the plate or on the field, you remember that and compliment those players as you shake their hand. That’s what baseball people do !

As the game ends, and your shaking hands with the opposing team, one of the coaches is a lady coach. You first remove your hat – as a gesture of courtesy, then proceed to shake the lady’s hand politely. That’s what baseball people !

Does any of this sound like you? If so, welcome to the family of baseball people!

Coach B.

:applause:

Well put… But I will say that if the umpire makes a bad call, alot of the time it does need to be pointed out. Not just for the sake of letting the umpire know, but also for protecting your players. Bobby Cox has been thrown out of more games than anyone for protecting his players, and everybody loves playing for that man. Some umps know when they screwed up a call, but in all honesty there are plenty that don’t. Also, debating a call can at times lead to a call being revearsed or the umpire gets some help. Just food for thought here.

Well said! I can’t tell you how important it is to not let the ump’s calls get to you – whether they’re going your way or going against you. How you react to all the stuff that goes on around you – from errors in the field, to giving up hits, to bad call by the ump – speak louder to college coaches and pro scouts than a plus fastball. I just wish more kids understood this and took it to heart. Don’t show emotion, don’t show emotion, don’t show emotion. And pick your teammates up if they boot it. We’ve all been there!

You guys are right, I miss spoke… I was thinking about it from a coaches point of view.

Nice post

May I suggest to all of you who have aspirations of playing college ball, independent league or even trying for a shot at a professional club to please print this section out and refer to it often. Here’s why:

I’m no different than any other amateur pitching coach, in that I want to see another generation enjoy and excel at this sport. In that regard, I know my ability of assessing talent goes well beyond the tryout and playing phase of a young man’s tenure with me.  This assessment of a player’s tenure will include other things besides competitive ability.

I say this because it’s not unusual for me to get an informal phone call, or receive a questionnaire in the mail, or to meet someone who has specific interest in a player that I currently coach or had at one time. The last thing that someone wants to hear from me is that … “he’s a nice kid.” End of subject. In short, what I’m getting at is – coaches depend on one another to give honest, factual, no-nonsense facts, more facts, and more facts.

My reputation as a coach, among my fellow coaches, depends on being honest and direct. My credibility, my “word as my bond” is at stake. Like I said in the beginning, I’m no different that another other amateur pitching coach. I expect honest answers form my fellow coaches about players that my club may be interested in – and my fellow coaches expect honest answers from me. None of us are about to pass on to another coach a showboat, troublemaker, hot head, flash in the pan kind of guy.

Listen to Steven Ellis – he’s been there. Baseball is a gentlemen’s game, played by gentlemen, enjoyed by gentlemen. Its sport of heritage, honor, skill and a National Pastime. For many, it’s a right of passage from adolescence to young manhood.

Early Weaver, the once firecracker coach for Baltimore said it best:
In baseball, you can’t kill the clock. You’ve got to give the other man his chance. That’s why this is the greatest game.”

Coach B.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :bighair:

You win the game and after shaking hands, showering, dressing, and the press conference, you are walking out to your car after the game. A woman comes up and tries to seduce you but you have sense enough to tell her to leave. You go to the bar on Main St. to have a few drinks with your buddies and while at the bar you meet a beautiful woman… or maybe the beer helped. Now you’ve lost enough of your inhibition to take her home and treat her as a gentleman would. The next week you get up and play again, new game, new woman. That’s what baseball people do!

You over extend on a pitch and end up having a ‘strained oblique.’ You go to your trainer and he tells you that he has a great supplement that vastly increases recovery time and even increases muscle mass. You decide to take this so called supplement for hopes of recovering so that you might pitch and show the coaches that you deserver a starting spot in the rotation. Hey, maybe this increased muscle mass will help you throw that ball harder too. You take this supplement and you get bigger, stronger, yet you don’t throw much faster. A few years later you start visiting the dl more often (but not for long each time). The next year, you test positive in a drug test (looks like that masking drug didn’t work) yet you deny you ever took anything knowingly. That’s what baseball people do!

But in all seriousness…

I wouldn’t congratulate a player publicly on a nice play until after the game. I wouldn’t tip my hat to a woman coach, they are there to coach, not be treated like a woman. My motto about umpires is “accept and respect.” As long as you stay in those guidelines, you are ok. Umpires are your friend.

Great post Spencer…

Beautifully said…

Just pure brilliance.

Ingenious post Spence :lol:

My son, like most youngsters has a problem with umpires making, or not making, calls in his favor on close pitches. The lesson I try to teach him is not to be frustrated and let the negative emotions get rolling. Learn from the call. Ask yourself what you are learning from that call. Establish the corners and then stretch the zone. Find the boundaries for that umpire. Stretch them a little. When you don’t get the call, and you think you should have, you have to re-establish the zone. If he gives you the strike 2 inches off the plate, be appreciative, recognize the favorable call and stick with that spot. Later in the game, maybe you don’t get one on the black. Instead of getting upset, ask yourself, "What am I learning here?’ Go back and establish that corner again and stretch again.
May not be right, but it helped him toward the end of last season.
Keeps a positive frame of mind. Makes it fun again…When he can do it!!

Cheers;

O