Terrible game

Alright, well, I’m 12.

This was my first time pitching…in my entire life.

I pitched an inning, 4 BB’s, 1 hit, and 3 ER… :oops:

When I would throw, I would never get it into the catcher’s mitt. I’ve only thrown off a mound once in the 'pen. I feel terrible now…I guess that kinda kills my chances of playing pro. :x

If its your first time pitching thats not so bad. Keep working on your aim and you will improve. Pitch to your friend or someone who will catch you. If you were planning on playing in the MLB I dont think its happening :wink:

But keep trying! :slight_smile:

A-check

What pitches do you throw?

Not at all buddy, you can’t expect to be great your first time trying something, people don’t just pick up a basketball and become pro, it’s all about taking your lumps learning from them, and improving. By the looks of your stats you just need to work on control, even professionals have off days where they feel they couldn’t hit a target to save there life. As well another plus for you, you have picked up pitching at a young age, you have years to learn and improve so keep working hard and you’ll go places.

[quote=“A-check”]If you were planning on playing in the MLB I dont think its happening :wink:
[/quote]

Nice way to cheer me up. :x

You’re twelve (12) years old … you’ve tried something like pitching once – life is over as you know it , the pro life is flushed away, time for a crisis intervention team to talk you off the roof…

Now this may seem a bit over the top for a twelve year old - so I’ll apologize up front now … but …

[size=24]GET A GRIP…[/size]

If this is any sampling of how you tough things out, first time around the horn with something new, get use to a very disappointing life style that’s more self inflected than anything else.

Life is no box of chocolates - all soft centers. You’re going to fall down a lot, get the bum’s rush from time to time, be told “NO” more times than not ,… and on it goes. Stand on your own two feet, learn from roads you travel and try and avoid this “crash and burn” mentality. That will not serve you well.

Again, for a twelve (12) year old - this advice may be a bit over the top, BUT - at least you had the courage and guts to TRY and pitch, and you did that regardless of the outcome - all by yourself. Not bad for the first time at the hitching post - not bad at all. So, get back in the saddle and put the spurs to it and do it again.
You’ll do just fine.

Coach B.

Can’t say it any better than Coach B., per usual. Excellent advice all around!

The New York Yankees pitchers of the mid-20th century had a term for someone in your position. They called it “taking one’s turn in the barrel”—one of their starting pitchers would be getting belted around from here to Timbuktu and back, and they would just leave him in there to take his lumps. Usually the reason for this was that their pitching staff was a bit shorthanded, due to injury or some such, and they needed to catch up. You can be sure that the pitcher taking his lumps survived the situation, and his next time out he was lights out.
This happens all the time. You just happened to catch this particular situation your first time out. And believe me, you are not the first one to experience a “turn in the barrel”; there have been a lot of them. But you got through it, and you will be all the stronger for it, because you will have found out first-hand what you need to work on. You will have found out your weaknesses—what pitches you need to work on, how best to sharpen up your control—and your strengths—what pitches you could really work up and develop, maybe one that could become your strikeout pitch. So don’t give up. :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

I wasnt trying to make fun of you just I dont think you will make the MLB.

This is TOTALLY inaccurate and ridiculous, and I wouldn’t accept this for myself. Period. I didn’t make the A or B All Star teams in Little League. Think about that … I got a full D1 baseball scholarship and was drafted 2 times, but I wasn’t even one of the top 30 kids in little league.

Then, when I was 13 years old, I didn’t make the top travel team in the area. Tried out, but wasn’t good enough to make the cut.

At 15, however, I turned the tables; I was the No. 2 starter on my Varsity baseball team that went to State.

There’s absolutely no way whatsoever to tell if a kid will “make it” at 12 years old. But I can tell you that MANY pro players developed well after Little League like I did. Instead of telling a kid he won’t make it, I kind of wish I saw us all taking the higher road and being encouraging and supportive of every member for where they’re at in their development as a baseball pitcher…

To the original poster, keep working hard and lots of opportunities will present themselves in interesting ways!

wow thats atrocious. Steven, what made you improve when as you hit your later teens? Big growth spurt? maturity? feel for the game?

What was your best attribute physical or mental as a pro? What was one think you look back on and wish you had improved upon?

Biggest attribute was my work ethic. I literally outworked everyone starting at 13. And I loved it. Made me physically stronger and mentally tougher. I wasn’t going to get beat on the mound … not with all the hard work that I had put in come spring.

That’s how I developed so quickly between 13-15 years old. I got my dad up before school and we worked out at the local fitness club from 6-7 a.m., showered there, and then grabbed a bagel and OJ on the way to school.

We also threw just about every day after school when my dad got home from work, and in the winter, we got permission to use the local junior college gym to long toss in the evening. It’s not the only way to develop, but it’s simply what worked for me. And right through pro ball, I pitched with a chip on my shoulder for not making those all star teams when I was younger. That really bothered me, and I made it a point to take it out on everyone I faced from that point on…

I am sorry, I shouldnt of said that, maybe you will make the MLB, if you do let me know! :slight_smile:

No worries, A-check! Keep your head up. I was only trying to make a point that all throughout ones career, you’re going to find people that doubt your abilities. If you don’t believe in yourself, you won’t make it. But if you do believe in yourself, the possibilities are endless!

Dude you never know whats going to happen its all fun now. Who cares if you did bad im sure you did something good like hitting or running or communicating. =] :smiley:

Satchel Paige once said: “You have to believe in yourself. When you believe, you do.” Good to keep in mind. :slight_smile:

On the note of work ethic… There’s an outfielder that got cut, but work super hard and made all-American 2 years in a row…

Lanky’s mentioned him

http://www.undergroundstrengthclub.com/tag/mike-guadango/

interesting interview of him…

Steven posted::::

A few years ago, I attended a pitcher’s and catcher’s clinic, just south of Bellows Falls, Vt., along with two of my neighbors and their son’s. It was by invitation only and a very selective group of talent was gathered to show their stuff.

Among the attendees were a few scouts that I haven’t seen in years, so we struck up a conversation, handshakes and the customary … “how’s the family…”

There was one youngster (18years old) who was sub-par to the rest - it was obvious from the get go. But the man stuck to it, determination galore, addressed all coaches and staff personnel with respect and courtesy.

Out of the group, a few were asked to remain- the rest were thanked for coming and they left for the parking lot.

One scout watched this young man that I was referring to — as he picked up his bag and belongings, then headed for his car. Alone, no parent or support with him, just him - his glove - his equipment bag.

Quietly, with no fanfare the scout gradually folded his lawn chair, tucked his cell phones away and headed to the young man’s car.

I knew what was what… This man saw what I saw … a diamond in the rough. A youngster that only needed professional guidance, a small change here and there, a “do this … do that” … kind of thing and some one’s got themselves a pitcher in the making big time. That’s what scouts live for … that big find that no one couldn’t get to!

You listen to what Steven contributed here … take it to heart … he’s the genuine article … and he’s providing this all at no charge …HELLO !!

Coach B.