Tendonitis-?

I think I may have tendonitis. What are the treatments? How can I prevent it? What can I do once it hurts? I have a pain after I throw about 60-70 pitches in my elbow and bicep. After I let it rest a day or two all the pain is gone and comes back after about 60-70 pitches. What should I do? Any tips?

Probably isn’t a good idea to throw that many pitches on such short rest. Try throwing rather than pitching so much. If it hurts that bad, I’d suggest resting it for a bit.

Somebody mentioned in another post about the scar tissue that starts to hurt once throwing begins again after the offseason. Many times there is just a short period of soreness that a pitcher has to get through when starting to throw again for the season. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

If the pain is really bad, definitely see a doctor.

Well, I think you are right. But the pain is definatly not bad enough to see a doctor. Might be scar tissue I am not sure. I am good enough to pitch as far as pain goes right now. :slight_smile: Thanks.

There’s pain and there’s pain. A sharp pain when you throw such as a twinge is almost always “bad” pain. A general achiness in the muscles is often just normal soreness after that many pitches. Achiness in the joint that gets worse as you throw more pitches can be a “bad” pain.

I’d recommend taking 2 days off after you feel any pain and limiting yourself to 50 pitches for a few weeks to see if that cures the problem.

If you are getting sharp pains or real pain instead of just normal soreness see a doctor right away.

Thanks, I don’t get any “sharp” pains. I just get acheness…so to say in the elbow and throughout the bicep. I will take your advice and try it out. Thank you. :slight_smile:

If you are not in season, take at least a week or two weeks off from throwing. Usually tendonitis is due to overuse, or putting too much on your arm before it is properly conditioned.

Anytime you feel pain or an ache after a game, it is a good idea to ice immediately after coming out of the game, and to take an aspirin or Advil to help reduce the inflammation.

It sounds like you MIGHT be throwing with improper mechanics, or incorrectly throwing a slider or curveball, so you may want to have a reputable pitching coach take a look at your motion.

Rest is usually the best thing for tendonitis, followed by easy exercises and light throwing. Often it results from doing too much, too soon. A pitcher should ease into his highest pitch total on a gradual basis, over several weeks. Unfortunately, many HS players go straight from zero pitches to 80, 90, 100+ in less than two weeks (not a good plan).

Better to start with 20-30 pitches a day for a week, then build up to 40, then 55, etc., until you get to where you need to be.

For my tendonitis, I’m starting to take supplements this year. I’m taking fish oil which is rich in omega-3’s. They’re anti-inflammatory and also have many other benefits (too many to mention). Also you should try taking ginger root which is another great anti-inflammatory which will help. You can try also to take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc. but I’m going to stay away from them. Also boswellia is and herb that is fights inflammation as well, and you can also take this with the ginger if you’d like.

Fish Oil - I take 4 grams a day (2 in the morning, 2 at night)

Ginger - I haven’t taken it yet but it is recommended to take 200mg 3 times a day.

Boswellia - I don’t have this herb yet, but the recommended dosage is 210-240mg 3 times a day.

Hope this helps, I will be trying this when the season starts.

Thank you all for posting to help me.