Tendonitis

Strength Coach FL, you have made some really solid comments which gets me thinking. My 14 yr old was diagnosed with tendonitis in his pitching elbow and upper arm, Dr told him 6 weeks off of any throwing etc. Dr did say he could start lifting right away at about 60-70% but honestly he really has done very little in his life, we have a gym in the house but hasn’t really gotten a lot of use outside my oldest. He runs for cardio, does push ups and situps. What do you suggest he should get involved with, maybe 3 x per week? It’s been 4 weeks off of baseball and he is getting a bit nuts without baseball.

Typically tendonitis in baseball players is is due to weak scapulae stabilizers, rounded shoulders, and poor thoracic mobility. I’d put him on a healthy dose of rows (check out this article on row variations
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/five-fun-inverted-row-variations/
), leg work and core stability.

Eric Cressey also posts some simple shoulder exercises and t-spine mobility drills.

Has his DPT given him any soft tissue or stretching exercises like rolling and stretching the wrist flexors/extensors? Does he still have pain?

The Dr. didn’t give him any sort of exercises, the pain has been minor and goes away within an hour or 2 every time. His issuse was that he never had more than 2-3 days off so it always came back. They said if the rest does it then strengthening and exercise will benefit him more. If it persists then they want him to do physical therapy.

I think that you are right about wealk shoulders, I think as he goes a long he will need more and more advice and guideance. I will talk with him about the rowing work tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice.

There can be other reasons for tendonitis, even weather conditions. Here’s a story from the major league archives. In 1951 Ed Lopat pitched and won two games in the World Series against the giants, 5-1 and 13-1—but after the second game he suddenly couldn’t lift his left arm. the weather may have been a factor; it had been cold and rainy throughout the Series, and for hot-weather pitchers it’s bad news. The ailment persisted all winter and into the spring of 1952, and so Lopat started the season on the shelf, which he didn’t like at all because he wanted to pitch, was what he wanted to do! Then suddenly he remembered an orthopedic surgeon in Chicago whom he had known in his White Sox days, and he went out there to see him.
The doctor examined him and then said “Eddie, you have tendonitis in your left shoulder!” After chewing him out for not having taken care of the problem sooner, the doc prescribed what was then a radical, and now no longer used, treatment—a series of ten X-rays to that shoulder. Radical, yes—but it worked, and when Lopat returned to New York he was pitching better than ever. From that point until the end of the 1954 season he ran up a 33-8 record.
You never know with pitchers… 8)

I had bicep tendinitis when I was 13. It just hurt to raise my arm. Even though I played, (and pitched) through it, it went away in about a month to five weeks.

I had bicep tendinitis when I was 13. It just hurt to raise my arm. Even though I played, (and pitched) through it, it went away in about a month to five weeks.