Team welfare

earlier this week,I was appraoched by a young player with concerns.He stated that team had no faith in the head coach and was afraid that this season would another losing season under the same coach as last year.He stated that the team wanted to start a petition to have the coach removed or have him step down. I asked the player what would be accomplished by the coach stepping down,he/the team would still consist of the same players. I told him your not playing for the coach,you’re playing for your team,for the love of the game. I’ve never seen a player in such distress nor have a seen a team respond to a coach the way this team has. I watched a scrimmage the other day and I understand why the team feels the way it does about coach.What do you,what does the team do when the coach acts as though he’s better then the program?This coach will not accept input from anyone,not even his other coaches. How do I help this young man? What can say to this kid??? Anybody have any ideas?

There was a manager named Chuck Dressen who for a time managed the old Brooklyn Dodgers. He considered himself an expert on pitching and pitchers—but in fact, what he knew about this subject you could put on the head of a straight pin (such as is used in sewing) and have a lot of room left over. At no time was this more apparent than in the third game of that fateful 1951 playoff against the Giants, when he sent for Ralph Branca to relieve in the ninth inning, completely forgetting who was coming to bat for the Giants—Bobby Thomson, who owned Branca and had hit several homers off him during the season. Giants manager Leo Durocher, who had more sense in his head, told Thomson “Bobby, if you ever hit one, hit one now.” And on an 0-1 pitch Thomson did just that.
This coach you speak of reminds me of Dressen. He’s a regular Professeur Je-Sais-Tout who will listen to nobody because he thinks he knows it all, and as a result he has earned nothing but animosity and—yes, hatred from the players on his team. I can imagine that they would love to tar and feather him and ride him out of town on a rail—but if that’s not possible, I think that the first thing the players should do is hold a closed-door meeting, just the players, nobody else, and have a serious discussion of the situation, air their grievances and decide for themselves what the next step should be. Then, if there’s an administrator of some kind who’s in charge of things they should present their case to him.
It’s really a shame and a crime that these kids have to put up with such a situation—this is the sort of thing that has all too often resulted in young players losing interest in the game and dropping out. There’s a highly pertinent article in the NPA archives called “Take Me Out Of The Ball Game”, which addresses this very subject, and if you can access it you would do well to read it. I wish you the best in endeavoring to cope with this problem. 8)