Teaching pronation

When is a good age to start teaching pronation, and what are some good pitches for it? Any good techniques/drills besides telling a pitcher to just give the catcher a thumbs down sign??

the pitcher should be 13 or over…

also, make sure when the pitcher is first learning to pronate he doesnt use a straight elbow. ive seen so many young pitchers stray from thier natural arm path and instead of a bent arm they sort of flick thier arm upside down if that makes sense. this results in numerous shoulder and elbow related problems.

I assume that if the pitcher experiences no discomfort or stress, they are doing it right?

The arm naturally pronates after release so throwing a pitch that involves pronation means the arm is rotating the same direction it will rotate after release - it’s just starting that rotation sooner. There’s no harm in that so long as the pitcher pronates only to his comfort level.

The circle change is probably the most common pitch thrown using pronation. Other pitches that use pronation are the sinker and the screwball.

In my opinion, no age is too early to learn a change-up. With a circle change, the cue I often use is to tell the pitcher to get his middle and ring fingers on top of the ball just as the index and middle fingers would for a fastball. However, young kids have small hands and, therefore, are often not able to make use of the circle grip. So they need to use a 3-finger or palm grip instead. But they can still throw with a bit of pronation (again, just to their comfort level).

not neccesarily, he should have the same natural arm action/path but just before the release point give the catcher a thumbs down [not literaly] and upon deceleration he should rotate his arm back to how it ends after a fastball so as not to tip of the batter that the pitch is likely to break

True but most hitters aren’t that smart. At the high school level at least most in high school can’t even read a curve until it breaks when they see it right away out of the pitchers hand.

How it ends after a fastball (and after any pitch, for that matter) is a pronated position so there is no need to try to rotate his arm back at all.

thanks guys…right now he is practicing his pronation with a circle and vulcan change. They have the rotation to sink and move in on a right handed batter, and I assume that with age and strength, they will sink an move more. No discomfort at all, so I assume everything is ok. Thanks.

What pitches do you pronate, and which ones do you supinate?