Teaching better accuracy

What is the best way to teach accuracy for an eight year old pitcher?
He has a strong arm throws hard but his accuracy is eratic at best.
any help or suggestions would be great.

even though he throws hard, he probably has something going wrong in his mechanics that makes it hard for him throw consistently.instead of trying to teach to get accurate with those flaws, correcting those flaws will make it easier. probably posting some videos on here would help a lot.

Start by eliminating all head movement in any direction other than towards home plate. Putting a slight bend in the knees and waist can help.

Don’t focus on the end product. Like Roger says, simplify his mechanics to build an overall better pitcher - not one that soft tosses but has better command.

heslin2320,

Pitching Chain Management dictates your simplification begin with an athletically stacked Starting Position.

A Coach or Dad sees their Pitcher is in an athletically Starting Position when an imaginary line from their Student’s Nose runs vertical to the ground to a point right in front (to the Home Plat side) of the Pitcher’s Back Heel.

To create this position, you modify your Student’s Body alignment by adjusting the Pitcher’s Front Foot position.

This position puts a slight bend in the Student’s Back Leg and forces his Head to only move toward the plate.

L.A. “Skip” Fast
Pro Pitching Institute

Here’s something I used to do when I was a little snip and continued to do well into my playing days. I would get a catcher, and we would go to an unused playing field, and I would take the mound while he set up behind the plate with his mitt. We would then play a little game we called “ball and strike”, wherein he would position his mitt in various spots, high, low, inside, outside—heck, every which way but standing on his head!—and I would concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt, in fact, actually throwing through it. I would do this with all my pitches, at different speeds, and because I was a natural sidearmer I would use the crossfire. It was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and we would go at it for an hour or so at a time. Believe me, I can’t think of a better way to sharpen and refine my control and command of my stuff. I wasn’t fast, but I threw hard. And every so often we would get someone to stand in the batter’s box so I could zero in on the various parts of the strike zone, even get the guy to swing at a few of my pitches—not that he could hit them!
It’s a good way to work on and refine the postural aspects, starting from an upright position, working from both the full windup and the stretch, and making sure to follow through and complete my pitches. 8) :slight_smile: