Tanner Goldsmith Pitching Analysis

This is my most recent video. Please let me know of any feedback/criticism you can think of. I appreciate it greatly.

This video is also posted in my pitching log.

Front side (glove arm) is too short and, therefore, too quick. Results in early shoulder rotation and a loss of hip and shoulder separation. Try to extend the glove arm forward the same amount that the throwing arm extends back. Do not alter your throwing arm.

You seem to have your shoulder line running from the SS side of second to the left hand batter’s box. You land to the first base side of the target line. Glove side is a bit short as Roger notes and could be influencing shortness of throwing arm motion. I like the effort level.

@Roger, thanks, I’ve never been told anything about my glove arm being too short. So I should completely extend my arm?

Thanks @CoachPaul, so should my throwing arm be pointed directly at second base? And do you mean that my plant foot is too far left and I am throwing across my body?

Thanks again to both of you!

[quote=“TannerGoldsmith, post:4, topic:17856, full:true”]
@Roger, thanks, I’ve never been told anything about my glove arm being too short. So I should completely extend my arm?[/quote]
Extend it the same amount as the throwing arm extends back. This is basically the “equal & opposite” concept: upper arms parallel and equal bends at the elbows (although the arms can be bent in different directions like one arm up and one arm down a’la Roger Clemens).

Good catch by CoachPaul. I don’t consider your shoulder alignment an issue if you get to “equal & opposite”. But your stride direction coupled with your starting position on the rubber can lead to a posture shift to the glove side as your shoulders rotate and attempt to square up to the plate. I’d suggest starting on the glove side of the rubber to minimize the posture shift.

If you start on the glove side of the rubber, you will stride on the target line, which is the goal. If you start from the center of the rubber, then your throwing arm will extend toward second base if you stride on the target line.

Thanks to both of you, @Roger and @CoachPaul. I will try to implement to equal and opposite advice next time I throw. I’m guessing that fix will be just a conscious effort to extend my glove arm until its buil into muscle memory.

Also, should I just change my starting position on the rubber and leave my action the same or should I make the harder fix in changing my shoulder alignment and stride direction? Would one be more beneficial than the other in terms of velocity?

I would change starting position on the rubber first. See what effect that has on posture - that may be enough. It’s easier to change position than movement pattern.