Tall and Fall or Drop and Drive mechanics

What is the best way to throw drop and drive? Or tall and fall? Maybe there’s something else I never heard of. If you could find a video or article to demonstrate because when people use baseball terminology I get confused

Tall and Drive :wink:

Well, there’s:

• skip and dip
  • hop and skip
  • dip and slip
  • slip and rip
  • rip and scratch
  • scratch and sniff.

Just saying…

Drop, in my vocabulary, means collapse of the back side, so I don’t use it. I try to have pitchers bend the posting leg as little as possible and keep their upper body over their hips. So I’m not a drop or dip fan. I say that I’m not a sink and stink style coach :wink:

The real problem is using verbal cues to try and teach a movement.
The idea should be to get momentum and power moving toward the target. The terms “tall and fall”, “drop and drive”, “up down and out” or any other can and do mean different things to different people. Getting power moving down the mound quickly and under control is what is wanted no matter what it is called.

How can you teach/learn that?

I agree with fearsome. Get your butt moving - literally. Build some momentum/energy. Sequence your delivery properly and time things well and you’ll be able to transfer the energy up the chain and into the baseball.

How to teach/learn? Pitching from the stretch, try to get from first movement into front foot contact in .90 - .95 seconds. That probably means taking a more direct path with your center of mass - no time to waste dropping or falling. Consider using the Hershiser drill to work on adjusting the timing of when you move your hips forward relative to your knee lift.

Getting power moving down the mound quickly and under control is what is wanted no matter what it is called.

Keeping your weight centered and your movement balanced while getting down the hill is the key to being able to use that movement to generate momentum and build power / energy. If you land hard, your weight is probably too far forward at foot strike, if you have your weight too far back, it’s difficult to get your upper body stacked over your hips.