Tall 12 year old- Injuries- Glass Cannon

My son turned 12 in January and is tall for his age. 6’ tall.
He is constantly having tendon issues - Calves/Achilles and some strains in chest, triceps.
He isn’t over pitching, his travel team is very careful with him and he hasn’t pitched in LL as it was agreed on draft that he wouldn’t pitch there until all star games.(long story)
Has anyone dealt with injuries like this- He has twice been shut down for Achilles once after pitching and once after catching in LL.
His last pitching saw him injure his tricept(I think he was aiming the ball) that has cleared up but now saying chest hurts near his armpit.
He’s a good pitcher in that he throws hard and tends to get a lot of Ks. That’ great but I think its just a result of being tall vs being a pitcher. Hes not getting the work he needs because of the injuries. I don’t want to tell him to pitch through anything but also know he isn’t exactly the type to push himself with minor aches and pains.

He has seen a doctor who thinks his tendons etc are short and don’t grow at the same rate as the accelerated bone growth and its going to take a couple of years to catch up. Just very frustrating, and want him to enjoy these years of fun. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Stevef88

“My son turned 12 in January”

He is chronologically 12 yo, you need to assess his biological age before you make any plans on training amount, adrenaline assisted competitive amount and mechanical application’s .

He may be Advanced, Equated or Delayed and biologically separated by as much as 5 years

“ is tall for his age. 6’ tall.”

His stature has nothing to do with biological age.
Now add in that he may be delayed by a year or 2. If he is delayed 2 years he would be a 6’ 10.5 BYO!

“He is constantly having tendon issues”

It has been anecdotally recognized by pediatricians that throwing injuries go up during growth spurts.

He will have many more. All the growth plates in the Elbow completely solidify at 16 biologically in Equated maturers.

“triceps.”

Lower Triceps pain indicates intuitive Forearm flyout where the Triceps never fire off and can’t be injured! It is always misdiagnosed a s Triceps tendon or muscle pain when it is actually- Ballistic end of range of motion at the Elbow from forearm supination by way of that flyout causing first inflammation of the hyaline cartilage at the back of the Elbow then escalates from there.

“He isn’t over pitching, his travel team is very careful with him””

Do they understand how pitching injuries are caused mechanically?

Ask them especially if they are teaching him how to pitch if they understand the importance of, only competitive pitching 3 consecutive mo. in a year once a week one time thru the lineup. This is his best chance to avoid premature closure of Elbow growth plates before they naturally solidify.

It is clinically known that pitchers arms loose bone growing time by premature closure.

Meaning their throwing arm will solidify early making it older than the still growing glove arm.

“Has anyone dealt with injuries like this”

This is what we do. Mitigation is our mission statement.

Read at DrMikeMarshall.com for the real story. have an exit and return strategy. understand it all. You will not need any other pitching coach sept you.

“He has twice been shut down for Achilles once after pitching and once after catching in LL.”

He had to have known going in both times, did Mom say he could go in?

“His last pitching saw him injure his tricept that has cleared up but now saying chest hurts near his armpit.”

I told you about the Triceps enigma.

He has pain in the chest near the arm pit showing us he contracts his pectoralliss major to throw the ball, not his Latissimus Dorsi that inwardly rotates the humerus. This contraction causes horizontal adduction of the Humerus where the pec is the primary mover. This is how I know he Flies out during drive.

“That’ great but I think its just a result of being tall vs being a pitcher.”

Tell him the more he pitches now the smaller his arm will be later, it’s a fact.

He should be learning the skills of pitching non-competitively most of the year.

This is when they learn to mitigate pathomechanics in their delivery

“ Hes not getting the work he needs because of the injuries.”

There is a training plan at Dr. Mike Marshall’s built for throwers that also teaches them how to protect themselves and others. Most of it does not involve pitching.

“I don’t want to tell him to pitch through anything but also know he isn’t exactly the type to push himself with minor aches and pains.”

being curious and mindful of his health is a big deal but treated under the rug in baseball.

“He has seen a doctor who thinks his tendons etc are short and don’t grow at the same rate as the accelerated bone growth and its going to take a couple of years to catch up.”

listen to him and put together a plan. Always error on the side of my son is also a delayed maturer until you know by comparative elbow X-rays.

“Just very frustrating, and want him to enjoy these years of fun”

Fun? Go shoot some hoop. baseball is a game of constantly reassessing your failures because of it’s ballistic nature.