Talking to yourself on the mound

Does anyone else here talk to yourself on the mound???
I was just wondering if anyone else does it that’s not playing profesional or if i’m the only one.

i do i mostly tell myself to calm down and throw strikes

if i do something really stupid ill talk to myself, like walk somebody with the bases loaded or w.e

I sometimes talk about random things or what I want to be thinking about.

As long as you don’t talk very loud and don’t move your lips very much people will think you’re normal.

Ya I do it to, it helps me calm down especially in pressure situations.

An umpire was shaking his head and leaning into our catcher during one inning … that drew my attention. It seemed like nothing, until the ump called time … walked half way to the mound with his mask in hand and told my guy “one more time with the face and muttering about the balls and strikes and he was gone!”

I sprang out of the dugout and jogged over to the two now engaged in a conversation … with my pitcher motioning… what did I do?

The ump turned to me and said this man is gone if he gets one more look that even suggests he’s being squeezed!

When I asked my pitcher if that’s what he was doing … he said heck no, he was just singing to himself … it took the pressure off.

“Ok fella, what ya singing?” asked the ump.

My guy says he’s singing that song about the lions that were raised by these people … then set free. It goes something like this …
" Born free… my father’s a doctor…"

Blue walked back to the plate, shaking his head, and I heard him mutter to himself … " their nuts … their all nuts!"

You need to write a book

I’ve heard of major league pitchers who do things like that. Mark Fidrych used to talk to the ball all the time. And there was a guy named Bill Faul who in his own way was a goofball. He used to say he could hypnotize his pitching arm by talking to it, and usually it would go something like this: “Hi, arm.” “How’re you doing today, arm?” “You happy, arm?” “Get out there and do your stuff, arm.” Yes, pitchers will do things like that at times, so you’re not the only one. :lol: